none
Resource Graphs in Project 2007 (Resource Histogram) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I run a plan for an offshore installation.  I have many workscopes with resources allocated against each activity. 

I would like a graph to appear at the bottom of my plan which shows how many people are onboard the installation over a given time period which would match the time period of the plan.

Each activity has a resource allocated, is there anyway I can get a graph to appear at the bottom of my plan which shows the total number of resources on each day across say a 3 month period?

I hope this makes sense?  I do have a graph that I do separately in Excel but it's a double dip of work at the moment as I have to issue the 2 documents separately and also input the figures separately.

Hope my query makes sense.

Thanks

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• PieMistres,

Unfortunately Project doesn't have very good graphing capabilities. The closest you can get to what you want is to show a combined Resource Graph (bottom pane) and the Resource Usage (top pane). For more information on how to do that, go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Combined%20Resource%20Graph, and take a look at FAQ 38 - Combined Resource Graph.

In the end however, your best bet is still to export the data to Excel and plot it there.

John

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• I can get it to do this for the Resource usage view but I am struggling on the gant chart.

To do for the resource usage:

Split the screen (drag the bar from teh bottom right up) and display resource usage in the top and resource graph in the bottom

Right mouse on the graph and a dialogue will appear with "selected resources" on the left and "resource" on the right.  Chose to show the "selected resource" and hide the "resource" (left and right respectivly) for all the options (note you can show all sorts of views here however I am assuming you're sticking with bar.

Now select more than one resource (i.e. one of your groups or all the resource) in the top panel and the graph will display for all the selected resources.

Still working on the Gantt but not hopeful :)

Miles

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:47 PM
  • PieMistres,

Unfortunately Project doesn't have very good graphing capabilities. The closest you can get to what you want is to show a combined Resource Graph (bottom pane) and the Resource Usage (top pane). For more information on how to do that, go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Combined%20Resource%20Graph, and take a look at FAQ 38 - Combined Resource Graph.

In the end however, your best bet is still to export the data to Excel and plot it there.

John

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:53 PM