none
Earned Value in cubes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in what cube should I be able to find "Earned value" or what specific requirements does it require to show this value in a cube. There is a nice check box in cube configuration to include Earned Value, but I am not able to find it in any cube. Is it called differently in the available templates in Business Intelligence Center?

Thanks in advance!
    Barbara

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Barbara,

Firstly, it seems strange helping you out, it's normally you helping out us ;)

According to the Project SDK, the following fields are available in the various cubes:

Assignment Non Timephased

ACWP
    BCWP
    BCWS
    Cost Variance
    CV
    SV
    VAC
    Work Variance

Project Non Timephased

CVP
    SVP

As for getting it to show in the cubes, as long as you have selected the measure group and the schedules have all the usual earned value requirements, it should show.

Hope this is of use,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

I have never been able to help you, I wish I had your knowledge!!

OK, seems that I had been too optimistic to find these values in any timephased cube. I skipped the non-timephased cubes, since all these fields are available as timephased values in task usage view in Project client. It's a pity!

Thanks a lot!
    Barbara

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hi Barbara and others ...

May it was pure logic to search for the earned value figures in the time-phased cubes... For me, earned value seems to be a time-phased concept.

I just want to create an earned value chart containing BCWS, BCWP and ACWP, and ofcourse there should be a time-axis...
    Maybe I can use functions like Sum(PeriodsToDate([Time].[all]),xyz)?

Can somebody tel me what to do?

Regards

Wim

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Hi Wim and others

I want to do exactly what Wim asked above.

Wim, Did you get any answer from anyone or did you figure out how to do that?

Can anyone help me in doing how to do this. I am ready to create new view and cubes, as I am new to SQL server and Share point, it would be great if you can give me a step by step approach

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 21, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hi Georgey,

I discussed this topic in another thread too:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/e3ff41b1-eadd-46d6-8f92-3dd70f245687

As you have seen, the answer was negative :(

What I would do:
    It is no big deal to get the base figures together via SQL in an excel report. The calculation of the cumulative values shouldn't be a problem in Excel and once this is done, creating a chart on those calculated values must do the job...

I hope I am right ;)
    Regards
    Wim

Friday, October 21, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi Wim

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, I saw the other thread also and its sad to see that time is not considered anywhere.

I dont want to use excel here, as my requirement is to have a dynamic report which can be presented in a sharepoint site. If you have a SQL query which generates the base figures, can you share it with me.Then based on that I will create a view and then based on that I will create a cube which I can use in MS Sharepoint.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Warm Regards

-Georgey

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Georgey,

The way I propose with excel (services) gives a dynamic sollution too! You don't need a cube to offer dynamic reports in a sharepoint site. For examples, check in PWA the "Business Intelligence" environment (Sample reports based on Office Data Connection files).

I'll check what I can do for the SQL next week.

Regards
    Wim

Friday, October 21, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Thanks Wim

I tried the excel reports using Projects 2010's=>Visual reports and selecting the Earned value template. It generated the report and I save it on my sharepoint site, but when I refresh the report online, it threw me an error saying cannot refresh connection. I Am not too sure how to handle that and thats why I moved to share point and started using the cube for that. I also found that in sharepoint reports, users can dynamically change reports to bars, grid, line, line with markers etc and all the report types are drill drown. That looked pretty nice and extremely useful as I can dril down till a day.

Thanks a lot for the email and thinking about the SQL. I will wait for that.

Monday, October 24, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi everybody,

This is the answer for this question!! (Andrew Lavinsky's blog!)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/e3ff41b1-eadd-46d6-8f92-3dd70f245687

Regard
    Wim

Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:11 PM