none
memory utilization is not monitored RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just tested this tool because we need basic information to decide the sizing requirements for the virtualization hosts for server consolidation.
    Now, after viewing the generated reports, I am very astonished, that thew tool does not measure the memory utilization of the servers. I think that is, beside cpu, network, and disk, the fourth fundamental value to monitor and take into account for the recommondation!

Any comments on this?

Regards
    Carsten
    Friday, May 9, 2008 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Doil,

We intend to add the Memory Utilization feature when we release MAP 3.1, which is slated for the June/July timeframe.

Hope it helps,
    Baldwin Ng
    BNg
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Thanx for the quick response.
    So I am lokking forward to the next release.

Regards
    Carsten
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Hello,
    3.1 is here, it's a while now.  I installed it yesterday and launched a perf metrics capture.
    It was my first time with this nice tool and it worked fine. But when I opened the report I was very surprised not to see any memory counter shown.

Since memory plays an important role in choosing what and where to virtualize, and since the virtualization wizard is based on the perf metrics capture results.... are the MAP virtualization proposals really affordable?

thanks!
    Friday, September 5, 2008 1:03 PM
  • We're using the physical memory installed on the physical machine that you're considering for virtualization, instead of the actual memory utilization.   So, when you make a virtualization assessment in MAPS 3.1, the amount of physical memory currently installed in the machine that you're attempting to virtualize will be deducted from the memory available on the host machine.

This article goes into more detail:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc895647.aspx

Thanks!
    Jay
    Friday, September 5, 2008 7:30 PM
  • thanks, Jay;
    I'm confident in the virtualization proposal as an affordable one; nevertheless I keep thinking a memory counters collection would fit just fine among that Excel file sheets.
    The counters collection is really nice, even if just using it without going on to virtualization proposals - it just misses memory data.
    I'm saying that just because I think it wouldn't be much effort adding it.

Congratulations for the tool, anyway!
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Try MAP v4.  You can sign up for the community preview here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/dd537566.aspx

Juraj
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:59 PM