none
Cannot get a Server 2012 stand alone server to join the domain.

Question

• I have a 2012 server freshly built at home.  I had connected and joined the domain over VPN successfully.  But I was unable to figure out how I could then switch user after connecting to the domain and login as a domain user to cache the profile.  Having discovered that I could in fact lock it and keep the VPN connection running I tried to do it this way but was unsuccessful, getting the "no logon server.." error.  So i thought I would try reproving it from the domain and rejoining it.

Well, I was able to remove it, but now cannot join it again.  I connect the VPN, then attempt to join it using the domain name.  It asks for domain admin creds and I give them.  It thinks for a minute or so then comes back with "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."  I can ping the DC. nltest gives me this:

C:\Users\Administrator.homeserver>nltest /dsgetdc:domainserver
               DC: \\domainserver
          Address: \\192.168.1.4
         Dom Guid: 5365dbdc-e96e-4929-84d3-021e04e4140b
         Dom Name: DOMAIN
      Forest Name: domain.local
     Dc Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
    Our Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
            Flags: PDC GC DS LDAP KDC TIMESERV GTIMESERV WRITABLE DNS_FOREST CLOSE_S
    ITE FULL_SECRET WS DS_8
    The command completed successfully

I tried putting the .local on the end of the name but that immediately comes back with:

An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "DOMAIN.local" could not be contacted.

ensure that the domain name is typed correctly

If the name is correct, click details for troubleshooting information.

Details provides:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "DOMAIN.local":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

DOMAIN.local
    local
    . (the root zone)

The name "DOMAIN" and the ip address "192.168.1.4" are being substituted for privacy.

Thank you for any help

Jim

Monday, May 07, 2018 11:49 AM

All replies

• The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "DOMAIN.local":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.DOMAIN.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

DOMAIN.local
    local
    . (the root zone)

The name "DOMAIN" and the ip address "192.168.1.4" are being substituted for privacy.

Thank you for any help

Jim

Hi,

I would suggest you refer to the following thread and try to re-register SRV record to see if it hleps.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/091a1ea6-88c3-4a43-96eb-3969cd90c20a/the-specified-domain-either-does-not-exist-or-could-not-be-contacted?forum=winserver8gen

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 1:45 PM
  • 10 times out of 10 this is caused by these issues.. 

1. You have DNS incorrectly configured (Add the Domain.Local into the Host file, reboot and try again, if it works your DNS is messed up) 

2. You have a bad Route or bad VLAN configuration on your Switches or you have the port blocked. 

3. The Windows time is skewed too much to connect to the domain controller. 

Rob

Friday, May 11, 2018 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    William

Monday, May 14, 2018 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please remember to mark useful reply as answer, which would be much more efficient for other forum community members to find useful information.

Best Regards,

William

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:44 AM