none
Can't Log On to Admin Account to make changes RRS feed

• Question

• I searched for a "Shared computer toolkit for Win XP" forum but this was the only one I found. I'm not an "IT" person so please don't make me look like an idiot, but please help if you can.

I installed SCT 1.1 on my Mom's computer before learning about StableState. I checked the suggested settings during the install but I also checked "restart after logging off".

My problem is I can not log off of the limited user account account to log on to the admin account that has SCT. When I log off the computer restarts. For some reason when the computer reboots it DOES NOT stop at the welcome or logon screen and loads straight to the desktop of the limited user account.

By selecting the suggested settinigs for a shared computer, I have very limited choices such as no control panel or run command. I can't right click on anything but I do have a my computer icon that I can look at the contents of the drives but I still don't have administrator rights under this limited account.

Can anyone tell me how I can log on to the administrator account so that I can get to and uninstall SCT and then install StableState.

If I didn't supply enough info let me know what else you need.

Thanks, Rick

PS. I reallly don't want to reinstall if at all possible, but I was smart enough to partition and all important info is in the D: partition.

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:37 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Rick,

If you want to bypass the automatic logon to log on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key when the computer starts.

In addition, if your administrator account is not listed on the welcome screen, we can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice to show the logon window. After that, please check if we can log into the system with an administrator account.

If you need any further assistance on this issue, I suggest that you post to the Shared Computer Toolkit public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.sharedaccess

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:33 AM

All replies