Slow File Transfers - 14 gigs in 76 hrs. RRS feed

• Question

• Although I have read countless accounts of the poor file transfer speeds with Vista and Windows 7 Beta I have to believe if the issue carried through to the current rev of 7 this forum and every other forum and blog related to Windows 7 would crash under the shear weight of user complaints.

I have a 4 week old install  of Windows Professional (64-bit) that has, until last week, performed as I had hoped but things have made a turn for the worse. It is hard to imagine that it after 20 years of supporting Microsoft centric corporate environments the folks in Redmond have finally pushed me beyond frustrated.  I am tapped out. I don't even know what avenue to explore for a resolution to unbelievablely slow file transfers between my box and a external USB drive.

If for some reason this just doesn't work...fine, but I never experienced such slow transfers running XP, Windows 7 Ultimate, Pro, or Home on this very same system.  When I finally got the time, I downloaded 7 Pro 64-bit, Office 2010 and started bringing in work files from an external Seagate FreeAgent drive which I use as sort of a short-term backup drive.

Bringing over groups of spreadsheets and docs 2 or 3 gigs at a time seemed to be no challenge but I have a couple of 15 gig, 30 gig folders that, in some cases are taking 3 days to make the 4 foot  journey.

All the drivers are updated, I've dicked around with some configs that other frustrated users have suggested tweaking, the Green Ribbon of Death seems to be right there at ground zero in any discussion about slow file transfers. I just don't know where to go next.

Even more frustrating but not sure related... after a couple hours of file transfers..with days remaining...Outlook won't open, IE and Chrome take 2 or 4 minutes to open and it's not out of the realm of possibility that the file transfer rate can drop to zero...yep, zero..nothing moving at all...although status in Task Maager is still "running".

The system :

Asus P6T SE

i7 930@2.8GHz

12 GB RAM

Hitatchi 1TB 7200 32MB Cache

Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 

as mentioned the external is a Seagate FreeAgent 1TB USB

I believe there is more than enough iron to handle anything thrown at this system.  I am at a loss. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

On a related side bar...why the hell can't Microsoft jump into these threads on occasion and provide some assistance. Geez, it's there forum, their product and I read threads of 30 to 40 frustrated users and no comment from the Microsoft support folks.

The whole GRoD is just one example. Jump in Microsoft. Either tell us you don't have a solution or you are are aware of the problem or you have a fix but there is nothing from you.

If any one has an idea.....I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Usually it is not clear enough to ping-point the culprit before we takes some time to narrow down the root cause. In this case we can see it involves devices, memory, drivers, settings etc. The most possible reason is memory and drivers.

At this point, I suggest delete temporary folders (C:temp) and increase the virtual memory

Also disable the Windows Explorer Navigation Pane

1. Click Start, and then click Computer.

2. Click Organize, point to Layout, and then click Navigation Pane.

Please check if it helps.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Monday, June 13, 2011 3:24 AM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Usually it is not clear enough to ping-point the culprit before we takes some time to narrow down the root cause. In this case we can see it involves devices, memory, drivers, settings etc. The most possible reason is memory and drivers.

At this point, I suggest delete temporary folders (C:temp) and increase the virtual memory

Also disable the Windows Explorer Navigation Pane

1. Click Start, and then click Computer.

2. Click Organize, point to Layout, and then click Navigation Pane.

Please check if it helps.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Monday, June 13, 2011 3:24 AM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

Monday, June 13, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Magon,

Sorry this thread has been quite because after following your suggestions and others sent to me I rebuilt the box, laid down a new OS and no longer having any...check that.....no longer having those issues. 

Thanks just the same.

-cb

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:32 AM