none
Space required for hyper-v MOVE option

Question

• I am wanting to use the MOVE option to move a VM from one LUN to another LUN on the same hyper-v server ( 2012 R2).

How much space do we need at the source LUN to do a MOVE option?  We only have 67 GB free space on the source drive. 

The VM is over 2 TB in size.

Worried that the MOVE option will make a snap which is greater than the free space available.

Also needing a backup plan in case this VM move to another LUN fails or corrupts during the process?  How can I do this when I do not have enough space to even take a snap. (I understand that the 1st snap is equivalent to the size of the original VHD which in this case would be over 2 TB in size).

dsk

Friday, March 10, 2017 9:17 PM

All replies

• AVHDX files created by a snapshot are not the same size as the source VHDX. They contain only changes. Size is determined by post-snapshot data churn.

But that doesn't matter for this question because a storage migration does not use snaps at the source.

Your backup plan is to down the VM, detach the VHDXs, manually move them, and reattach to the VM.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Saturday, March 11, 2017 2:46 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 9:34 PM
  • I though as long as the VHDX were associated with a shut off VM that you cannot copy them?

dsk

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:04 PM
  • Which would be why you detach them first.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Friday, March 10, 2017 10:06 PM
  • Storage Live Migration, maybe?
    Friday, March 10, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:10 AM