Is APP-V dead? Is it part of any MS strategy? RRS feed

• Question

• I think the concept and fictionally off APP-V is great, and want to get to learn it more. That being said there is barely anything on forums or the Internet about it past 2013. Is it a technology Microsoft will support and improve for the next 5-10 years? Is it with introducing into a production environment?  Why are there such few posts/info about it? The same really applies to all the products in the MDOP package. 

Thanks for your answers. 

Sorry for typos, on mobile. 

-BigHaig

• Edited by BigHaig Saturday, March 12, 2016 11:32 PM Typos
    Saturday, March 12, 2016 11:31 PM

Answers

• Try to spend a little bit more time to write a good search query, including on this forum: - Is App-V dead?

A simple search on google for "app-v blogs" will give you results with very high quality resources from App-V MVPs with tons of information.

The latest news is that MSFT will have an edition of Windows with App-V built-in, so even if I repeat myself, once again I have to say that App-V is far from dead.

• Marked as answer by BigHaig Monday, March 14, 2016 4:24 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Is App-V dead? No would be my answer. App-V has a bright future.I see that many companies are opting for App-V rather than traditional MSI or EXE technologies.

Have a look at Bogdan who has shared a link from Tim Mangan about App-V getting integrated within Operating system itself. It would clearly explain you about Microsoft's strategy towards App-V. Why do MS want to include App-V within OS, if it doesn't have any future? Clearly it says MS wants App-V to be the future in application virtualization.

Moreover I see MS is listening to customer and feedback from us. They doesn't stop just by listening, they try to implement it in its next HF's or next version.

If you have any idea or tip that should be a part of App-V, do write it here in App-V User Voice.

CONCLUSION: App-V will be alive for another decade !!

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Here is more information regarding App-V vs Centennial where you can see App-V is still for the IT Professionals.

I think App-V will disappear when the legacy Windows Apps are gone, and that is going to take a very long time.

Regards,

Ryan

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:15 AM
  • As an additional note, starting with the Redstone 1 Update for Windows 10, the App-V Client will be integrated into Windows 10 (native!).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-plans-to-build-its-app-v-virtualization-client-into-windows-10-redstone/

With that in mind, App-V will have a great growth in the near future, from my Point of view.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:13 AM

All replies

• Try to spend a little bit more time to write a good search query, including on this forum: - Is App-V dead?

A simple search on google for "app-v blogs" will give you results with very high quality resources from App-V MVPs with tons of information.

The latest news is that MSFT will have an edition of Windows with App-V built-in, so even if I repeat myself, once again I have to say that App-V is far from dead.

Sunday, March 13, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Is App-V dead? No would be my answer. App-V has a bright future.I see that many companies are opting for App-V rather than traditional MSI or EXE technologies.

Have a look at Bogdan who has shared a link from Tim Mangan about App-V getting integrated within Operating system itself. It would clearly explain you about Microsoft's strategy towards App-V. Why do MS want to include App-V within OS, if it doesn't have any future? Clearly it says MS wants App-V to be the future in application virtualization.

Moreover I see MS is listening to customer and feedback from us. They doesn't stop just by listening, they try to implement it in its next HF's or next version.

If you have any idea or tip that should be a part of App-V, do write it here in App-V User Voice.

CONCLUSION: App-V will be alive for another decade !!

Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:23 PM
  • As an additional note, starting with the Redstone 1 Update for Windows 10, the App-V Client will be integrated into Windows 10 (native!).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-plans-to-build-its-app-v-virtualization-client-into-windows-10-redstone/

With that in mind, App-V will have a great growth in the near future, from my Point of view.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Here is more information regarding App-V vs Centennial where you can see App-V is still for the IT Professionals.

I think App-V will disappear when the legacy Windows Apps are gone, and that is going to take a very long time.

Regards,

Ryan

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:15 AM
  • @Ryan,

Thanks for sharing the slide. I saw a tread long back where Tim Mangan has asked about customizations being supported with Appx in project centennial and the answer was No, it is not supported in Project C and the possible solution is to use App-V to accomplish it.

I agree Project C is some what similar like App-V but I also heard that it is not definitely going to be a replacement for App-V.

Link - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-692

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:42 AM
  • AppV is not a Technology. It's a Solution.

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Monday, March 14, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the responses. It's just so odd that doing a web search mostly brings up blogs with info from 2013 and all the way back to 2009.  Even the official MS App-V blog only has hotfix info and very few mentions of 5.1.  I guess since 4.6 and 5.0 are still functional, 5.1 is getting less traction for now.  I'm just used to Exchange blogs where there is non-stop info on the latest versions.

-BigHaig

Monday, March 14, 2016 4:29 PM