BSOD - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION at frequent and random times? RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be getting rather random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Blue Screens recently. I've only had Windows 8 installed for about a day now but it wasn't happening yesterday evening so I'm assuming it's a recently installed app, possibly.

I've done some digging and I realised that most people are having problems with this particular error and the likes of AVG and Avast, along with a host of other third-party programs.

Essentially, the problem, and solution, is generally specific to the victim, making it difficult to remedy my own problem based on their findings.

Could anyone perhaps help me analyse my .dmp file or suggest another possible fix? :)
    The help would be very be appreciated, this problem is really bugging me!

-Bren

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:36 AM

Answers

• The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) error referenced the storport.sys (storage port driver):

BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_storport!RaidpAdapterTimerDpcRoutine

This may indicate a motherboard timing issue or other hardware issue.

However, in the following link a similar error was reported and looking at the minidump files from that link showed the problematic driver was the SI3112r.sys:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/7291-bsod-dpc_watchdog-violation.html

There is a similar driver on your system, the SI3132.sys, which is dated Oct 3,2007 so you could try updating the SI3132.sys and see if that helps.

Consider also updating the NVIDIA display to the latest WHQL version available from NVIDIA for Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by PoliceKING Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:23 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 1:02 AM

All replies

• Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

Also, you do not necessarily have to zip up the minidump files, you can upload them one at a time.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hey thanks for the reply.

Here's the rather scarce contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. There has been much more BSODs than there is Minidump information so I'm hoping the info you need is contained in the there.

http://sdrv.ms/PoIxLK

-Bren

Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:59 PM
  • One of the minidump files showed a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) (LIST_ENTRY corruption) stop error caused by the MAudioProFire.sys:

BUCKET_ID:  0x139_3_MAudioProFire+13597

It may be that the driver for the M-Audio device is having issues with Windows 8.

Can you disconnect the M-Audio device, restart the computer, and see if the BSODs resolve?

Also, which M-Audio device do you have and which driver are you using?

Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Oh yeah. I should have mentioned the KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE as well. That was a once off event and I realised it was down to the ProFire. The M-Audio device is a ProFire 2626. It was a once off event so I won't be using it anymore. It's the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATIONs that are causing the real problem.  Is there any information regarding those BSODs in the minidump files? I'd say the .dmps are so few because I never let it analysis to 100% when it crashes.

-Bren

Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:30 PM
  • The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) error referenced the storport.sys (storage port driver):

BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_storport!RaidpAdapterTimerDpcRoutine

This may indicate a motherboard timing issue or other hardware issue.

However, in the following link a similar error was reported and looking at the minidump files from that link showed the problematic driver was the SI3112r.sys:

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/7291-bsod-dpc_watchdog-violation.html

There is a similar driver on your system, the SI3132.sys, which is dated Oct 3,2007 so you could try updating the SI3132.sys and see if that helps.

Consider also updating the NVIDIA display to the latest WHQL version available from NVIDIA for Windows 8.

• Marked as answer by PoliceKING Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:23 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Thank you for the response. I have updated the nForce drivers for the motherboard to their latest versions and have installed the WHQL version for the NVIDIA drivers on Windows 8.
    However I am uncertain as to how I install the SI3132 drivers as they are provided as a number of files such as si3132r5.cat, si3132r5.inf, Si3132r5.sys, SillSupp.dll, sippd.inf, SiRemFil.sys, SiWinAcc.sys and txtsetup.oem. I have pinpointed that SI3132.sys is related to Silicon Image PCI Express to 2 Port SATA300 and downloaded the latest drivers, as stated above.

Any help correctly installing these driver files would be greatly appreciated.

-Bren

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Can you locate the  "Silicon Image Sil 3132 SATALink Controller" in the Device Manager, it should be under "Storage controllers".

Right-click the 3132 Controller > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Have Disk > then "Browse" to the folder with the driver files and click on and select the si3132r5.inf > OK and continue with the driver installation.  

Monday, September 17, 2012 11:47 PM
  • That has now been updated as well.

I have now downloaded and installed all the latest drivers of the possible devices you said may be causing the problem.
    Thank you very much for all your help auggy! I shall keep you informed if the problem persists but it seems to be holding up pretty well now.

Thank you! :)

-Bren

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I'm afraid my computer BSOD again just there with the same error code. However I still appreciate the work you did in helping me.

I have supplied the most recent minidump file from the BSOD today.

http://sdrv.ms/PvxmRA

-Bren

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:12 PM
  • You're welcome for the help.

The latest BSOD appears to have been caused by the MAudioProFire.sys:

BUCKET_ID:  0x139_3_MAudioProFire+13597

Are you using an M-Audio device again?

Was that the only recent BSOD since updating the drivers?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:16 PM
  • I have the same problem, but SiI3132 doesn't have driver for Windows 8.1

This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA Raid 5 driver
    ; for the SiI 3132 controller on systems using the AMD 64-bit
    ; processor.

This file installs the SiI 3132 Serial ATA Soft RAID 5 driver as part of
    ; text mode setup on 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

[Version]
    Signature="$Windows NT$"
    Class=SCSIAdapter
    ClassGuid={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%SI%
    CatalogFile=Si3132r5.cat
    DriverVer=04/21/2009, 1.5.19.0

I set last Firmware: 7.7.03  from Lattice Semiconductor website.  
    I chose : bXXXX.bin  is it correct or I should choose  rxxxx.bin - for RAID BIOS.  
    I don't use RAID. 
    RAID, IDE, and motherboard BIOS are contained in the zip file.

rXXXX.bin      file is the RAID BIOS

bXXXX.bin      file is the IDE BIOS

XXXX.bin        file is the motherboard BIOS for OEM use in development. This BIOS is not intended for general end-users. For end-users with a SiI3132 onboard a motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

I probably suppose this driver works under Windows 7 because its name is: 

3132r5_x64_15190_logo_win7
    SiI3132 - PCI Express (1x) to 2 Port SATA300 (64-Bit Windows 7)   Drivers - rev 1.5.19.0

I'll appreciate your help for this matter.

How can I more diagnose case of this  BSOD?

• Edited by R_Buddy Monday, December 9, 2019 5:27 AM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 5:15 AM