none
Project Server 2007 to 2010 Post Migration Steps RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of upgrading a PWA 2007 site to 2010.  Once migrated, what are the best practices for shutting down the 2007 PWA site?  I want my users to now use the 2010 site, but I don't want the 2007 site to continue to send out alert emails about tasks.  Do I just disable Alerts and Reminders?  Or other steps?
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi sjb_dev,

I assume that you have migrated all data from 2007 to 2010, including all projects, resources and project sites? So that no-one needs to have access anymore to the 2007 pwa?

What are the future plans? Keep the old PWA site for whatever reason (reporting, ...) or remove entirely?

In this case, here are some things I would do to close the 2007 PWA site to make sure no-one continues using it:

• Deny logon to PWA for all users, except for one or more admin users: => select a security group to which all users except the admin users belong (if such group does not exist, create it) and set the Logon permission to Deny (both Logon and Logon from Project Pro)
    • Deny all users except the admin user(s) access to the project sites: => there are multiple option to achieve this: 1) disable automatic sync between PWA and WSS and remove access on the WSS root site. 2) In PWA security, deny all users access to the SharePoint features, and make sure sync between PWA and WSS is enabled

Actually, that's all you need to do. As there will be no more activity on PWA, no more alerts will be send, etc.
    In case you want to really lock down the PWA environment feature by feature, here are some additional steps you can take

• Disable Alerts and Reminders (clear STMP server field)
    • Close all Time Reporting periods
    • Deny access to the OLAP cube on Analysis Services (or delete the OLAP cube if you don't need it anymore) => some users might have saved Excel files which point to this OLAP cube
    • Close all tasks to updates

And of course, don't forget to update all your links and connections strings to the new PWA site: In Project Pro, on the intranet, in email communications, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by sjb_dev Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

It basically comes down to the requirements of your users.

Once you have migrated, typically you would want to restrict users from having access to modify data in PWA 2007 so that you only have one source of truth, your 2010 instance. This would include disabling access to modify schedules, enter task updates, timesheets or use the 2007 based collaboration sites, this should be achievable through configuring the security groups in PWA.

You may want to consider allowing users to have read only access in case of queries post migration, but this would only be for a limited time until the business is confident the migration has been successful and is moving forward using 2010.

It may also be valuable to update the PWA home page to add a content editor web part to state the site is decommissioned and provide a link to the new instance.

Finally, you can disable all those other items that no longer make sense for a system not being used, things like the cube building, resource pool sync from AD, SMTP server for updates etc.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi sjb_dev,

I assume that you have migrated all data from 2007 to 2010, including all projects, resources and project sites? So that no-one needs to have access anymore to the 2007 pwa?

What are the future plans? Keep the old PWA site for whatever reason (reporting, ...) or remove entirely?

In this case, here are some things I would do to close the 2007 PWA site to make sure no-one continues using it:

• Deny logon to PWA for all users, except for one or more admin users: => select a security group to which all users except the admin users belong (if such group does not exist, create it) and set the Logon permission to Deny (both Logon and Logon from Project Pro)
    • Deny all users except the admin user(s) access to the project sites: => there are multiple option to achieve this: 1) disable automatic sync between PWA and WSS and remove access on the WSS root site. 2) In PWA security, deny all users access to the SharePoint features, and make sure sync between PWA and WSS is enabled

Actually, that's all you need to do. As there will be no more activity on PWA, no more alerts will be send, etc.
    In case you want to really lock down the PWA environment feature by feature, here are some additional steps you can take

• Disable Alerts and Reminders (clear STMP server field)
    • Close all Time Reporting periods
    • Deny access to the OLAP cube on Analysis Services (or delete the OLAP cube if you don't need it anymore) => some users might have saved Excel files which point to this OLAP cube
    • Close all tasks to updates

And of course, don't forget to update all your links and connections strings to the new PWA site: In Project Pro, on the intranet, in email communications, etc.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

It basically comes down to the requirements of your users.

Once you have migrated, typically you would want to restrict users from having access to modify data in PWA 2007 so that you only have one source of truth, your 2010 instance. This would include disabling access to modify schedules, enter task updates, timesheets or use the 2007 based collaboration sites, this should be achievable through configuring the security groups in PWA.

You may want to consider allowing users to have read only access in case of queries post migration, but this would only be for a limited time until the business is confident the migration has been successful and is moving forward using 2010.

It may also be valuable to update the PWA home page to add a content editor web part to state the site is decommissioned and provide a link to the new instance.

Finally, you can disable all those other items that no longer make sense for a system not being used, things like the cube building, resource pool sync from AD, SMTP server for updates etc.

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:26 PM