XP-Mode securable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

i got a question, i need Win XP longer than 8.4. next year as a temporary solution.

Now i thought about securing my XP which i have in XP-Mode.
    The thing is that i don't want to use another license of my AV for a OS i don't know how
    long i will use it.

So here my idea
    I deactivate the network card of the VM in its configuration and map the needed netdrives,
    i also deactivate the USB connection.

If i do this my VM is completely isolated from external threads except from those intruding
    over the netdrives, am i right?
    Is this an acceptable securitylevel to run longer than the 8.4.? Or am i missing some 
    interfaces or open doors into my vm?

Thanks for the help  

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:25 AM

Answers

• if my Win 7 XP-Mode is secure enough and enough isolated by disableing the virtual network
    card and usb, or if there are other security aspects i missed

Same answer : Yes its secure.

Of course is the Win 7 machine behind a router with a firewall, and i won't use an AV because i can't use freeware and don't want to spend a license for that.

Use MSE, its free from MS.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Sk1ll3RF3aR Friday, September 20, 2013 12:28 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:52 PM
  • Many thanks for all of your replies and your enthusiasm to help me!
    But no one of you, i don't know why, seems to undestand my question or is willing to answer it.
    All of you told me the basic things about the xp stuff and scratched the security basics.

But i want information that goes little bit deeper.
    I want to know , and i say that for the fourth time now,

if my Win 7 XP-Mode is secure enough and enough isolated by disableing the virtual network

Of course is the Win 7 machine behind a router with a firewall, and i won't use an AV because i can't use freeware and don't want to spend a license for that.

Nothing can be 100% secure. The security you mentioned will give you about 90% secure minus the users interaction. You never can tell what a users will do.

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials ) is freeware and there is no license required. Plus it is from Microsoft. You need a antivirus on the Windows Xp, even a free one. This is what you missed and was pointed out to you. With MSE and your mentioned post, the system will be about 95% securem with users interaction.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:00 PM

All replies

• Read the Roger's Security Blog about "Windows XP: The world after April 8, 2014".

If you want, you can isolate the machine from the outside world but the availability of different services may be reduced.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Thanks for the link!
    I have 2 concepts for Win XP, the first is the XP-Mode that only needs to access some netdrives with CAD data, the software doesn't run on Win 7. So this is my user concept, and i still don't know
    if cutting it off network is all i need to do.

The second concept, for the developer is unfinished, but there your post, and the blog, helped me
    alot.
    So thanks for that part :) 

• Edited by Sk1ll3RF3aR Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:01 AM misspelling
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:01 AM
  • What about using XP mode in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:32 AM
  • What about using XP mode in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=8002

thats what i do :)
    For users -> XP-Mode (the definition is, as i undestand it, its integraten in win7)

but for the developers i need network access and have ideas for a internal solution with using different networks than for win 7 pc's

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Using XP mode, there will be no disconnections.

Give it a try on one systems and test your applications.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:11 AM
  • If you are not getting my question i apologize for my terminology.

I have tested Win 7 XP-Mode, the apps run like they should, i have mapped netdrives which i can access although i have deactivated the virtual network card and usb to isolate the system.

And my question was if this might be secure enough or if i missed something where security is compromised and someone might infect the XP-Mode with viruses or anything else.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:23 AM
  • Many thanks for all of your replies and your enthusiasm to help me!
    But no one of you, i don't know why, seems to undestand my question or is willing to answer it.
    All of you told me the basic things about the xp stuff and scratched the security basics.

But i want information that goes little bit deeper.
    I want to know , and i say that for the fourth time now,

if my Win 7 XP-Mode is secure enough and enough isolated by disableing the virtual network

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Yes, the base is Windows 7. So, it'll be secure enough.

• Marked as answer by Sk1ll3RF3aR Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sk1ll3RF3aR Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Thanks Arnav,

this is sufficent but not 100% satisfying, is it safe because win 7 is the base?
    I don't mean to question your knowledge but the xp mode is a completely
    own system just like a real computer, so we shouldn't just say it's safe because 7 is the base.

I know i can't protect the system 100% but this answer, although it is the answer i wanted,
    sounds a little bit flat.

i don't wanna annoy you guys and im thankfull for everything but i want a little explanation
    and clearness, cause i have concerns that there might be some backdoor i missed and need to
    close.

But again thanks alot for the aid

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:51 PM
  • if my Win 7 XP-Mode is secure enough and enough isolated by disableing the virtual network

Same answer : Yes its secure.

Use MSE, its free from MS.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 12:52 PM