black screen with mouse pointer RRS feed

• Question

• I have the common problem of the black screen with white mouse pointer.  It's a dell laptop inspiron 1525 1 year old.  If I hard shutdown, then restart, I get the "windows error recovery screen".  I choose "safe mode" and then I get a screen of "loading windows files".    a bunch of files load and then it stops at this one every time:
    windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.  The screen sits there for perhaps 15 seconds and then goes to the black screen with white mouse pointer.  The mouse pointer does move .  I tried restarting with the windows vista reinstallation DVD in the CD drive.  It spins up but nothing happens and then it stops and the computer goes back to the black scrren/mouse pointer.  Any ideas?  If I reboot with the vista CD in, do I reboot in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt normal mode etc? 
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi.  Did you try testing the hard with chkdsk /f or the manufacturer's testing software?
    There could be a problem with the hard drive.
    Regards,
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem - black screen with white pointer.
    I tried chkdsk only and no results. Then I tried chkdsk /r  and the problem was solved. The true is that it takes nearly two hours chkdsk to get through all operations. However it worked it out.
    Then I run combofix (freeware) and it found some malware and minor problems and fixed them. Now everything is even better than before.

good luck

L.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:55 PM