Windows 10 updates with WSUS 3.0 downstream servers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about patching Windows 10 clients with Server 2008 R2 WSUS 3.0 downstream servers. Here's a bit of a background as to how our WSUS is setup. Our home office location has Server 2012 R2 WSUS 4.0 installed, but all of our remote site WSUS servers are Server 2008 R2 WSUS 3.0 SP2. Up until recently everything was working fine. Now we've begun introducing Windows 10 clients and I'm finding them not patching in the remote locations the ones in our home office seem to patch correctly. after researching I found that I need to upgrade to Server 2012 with WSUS 4.0 to "fully patch" Windows 10 clients. My question is can I continue to use our current setup to patch Win10 clients? Or do I need to upgrade all of my downstream server to get it to work properly. The Windows 10 clients right now detect in WSUS, but they don't report. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, June 19, 2017 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi PMaldonato,

Yes, we need to upgrade the WSUS 3.0 Servers to WSUS 4.0 to deploy updates for win10 clients. And we need to install KB3095113 and KB3159706(with manual steps in KB3159706) on the WSUS 4.0.

WSUS 3.0 only provide the minimal updates for win10 clients:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/01/22/for-those-on-wsus-3-0-sp2-or-sbs-2011/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:51 AM