win7 gadgets moving as if by magic? RRS feed

• Question

• i have win7 and im not a fan of the side bar because i dont like the desktop space it takes up, so i just detached my gadgets and closed it... well now the free floating gadgets shift to the left every time i restart my comp. it seems like they only move about 10-15 pixels at a time, but its starting to get irritating. two of the my gadgets are microsoft, one is a 3rd party performance thing.... the microsoft ones seem to move more than the 3rd party one. thanks in advance for any help.
    • Edited by proanti1 Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:38 PM typo
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• How long has it been doing this?

Monday, August 17, 2009 12:00 AM
  • i dunno, a couple weeks or so, ever since i detached them... i searched around for a fix, but i could only find a few other people that are having the same problem, but in vista.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:52 AM

• It would be interesting to know which O/S you're using.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:04 AM
  • im using the windows 7 release candidate on a dell inspiron 15 / 1545.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:11 AM

• It has a SideBar like Vista?

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:20 AM
  • yeah, is it not supposed to?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Different problem - the gadgets are always on top no matter what I do. I had this before but moving one of them seemed to resolved the problem, but this is not working this time. Neither does toggling the Always on Top context menu option.

Windows 7 RC dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Monday, August 17, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hello,

Please modify the registry to enabled the gadgets to work properly:
     1. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
     2. Right click in the right panel of the editor and create a new DWORD(32 bit) with name "AllowElevatedProcess" and set its value as 1.
     3. Close the registry.
    For more information, we could refer to this blog:
    http://www.blogsdna.com/2189/fix-windows-7-sidebar-gadget-not-working-when-uac-is-disabled.htm

Another aspect, we could uninstall (right click the gadgets and uninstall it) the gadget if we do not want to use it.

Best regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:43 AM
  • that edit doesnt work for me. now when i restart, they move like 100 pixels to the left, and move down as well.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:17 PM