SearchIndexer.exe failures RRS feed

• Question

• I have consistent errors of searchindexer.exe. When I try to set its settings in Indexing Options, it says Indexing is not running. If I use troubleshooting it says, “Windows Search Service is not running – and Not Fixed” it also says, “Windows Search service failed – and Detected”. I have removed Indexing & Windows Search in Windows Features & then re-selected both but have the same errors. There are a number of problems that are caused by having Indexing & Search enabled in Features. When trying to rename a file or directory I have only a few seconds to finish before it saves & stops allowing me to finish. I Outlook 2010, while composing an email I am locked out & unable to type for a few seconds. If I press the space bar & some other not alphanumeric keys, I am allowed to continue. I have tried multiple combinations of having either one, Indexing or Search selected in Features with no change. These problems also occur in Word and some other applications. I have even installed Win7 on a new drive and copied Searchindexer.exe to my current Windows 7 installation to no avail. I have done as much as I can without doing a complete new install. I am trying to avoid a re-install since I have a great many applications.

Message in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd212 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c78c Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000000a49d Faulting process id: 0x16ec Faulting application start time: 0x01cc268a87574e90 Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: c592abf0-927d-11e0-bf6c-002354f2ead5

System configuration:

Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit

ASUS P5N-D motherboard

8 GB memory

Intel Core 2 – Quad Q6700 2.66Mhz

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The error code 0XC0000005 means access violation.  I suggest that you may use Chkdsk command to check your disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

1.       Open cmd.exe as an administrator by selecting Start->All Programs->Accessories.

2.       Type chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.

You will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Also I recommend you may try to use Memory Diagnostics Tool to check your memory:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:29 AM