none
DPM 2012 SP1 using SQL Server 2012 SP1 as local DPM database - installation help RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2012 / SQL 2012 Standard SP1 installed.

Trying to install DPM 2012 SP1 using existing LOCAL SQL database (the 2012). The installation wizard is confusing. If you refer to what you think is "use local instance", it installs SQL Server 2008 R2 instead of using an existing instance. Do I need to select the remote instance?

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

I made a test in my Sandbox on W2K8R2 OS and it's working. Doing the same on W2K12 should work.

I post all the steps on my DPM blog, feel free to take a look at it : Here

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

• Marked as answer by scott18ss Monday, February 11, 2013 5:26 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:56 PM

All replies

• I tried that as well this morning and ran into the same issue. If you select the option to use a local instance, it recognizes that SQL is there but says it is 2008 R2, then it installs 2008 R2 tools and fails on the Reporting Services configuration.

If you select the option to use a remote server and provide the info for the local SQL 2012 instance, it gives an error saying you can't use the local database.

Looking for workaround, but may just revert back to letting it install 2008 R2 unless there is a workaround.

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Great, I thought I was going crazy.

MS - please chime in with the procedure!

Thanks

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

You can select either to have DPM Setup install SQL Server 2008 R2 (use local instance) on the DPM server, or you can specify that DPM use a remote instance of SQL Server.

For the remote instance you can use 64-bit version of SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2008 R2 or SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1, Enterprise or Standard Edition.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Wait...so there's no option to use a local instance of SQL Server 2012?

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Yes there is no option.

Edit: I re-read Technet and using any local SQL instance is allowed:

"On the other hand, if you want to use an existing local instance of SQL Server on the computer that you are installing DPM, you can use that instance to host the DPM database."

Setting up the DPM database

Sorry... I missed the point cause I always use SQL instance from DPM DVD when using local instance.

Stephane

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I made a test in my Sandbox on W2K8R2 OS and it's working. Doing the same on W2K12 should work.

I post all the steps on my DPM blog, feel free to take a look at it : Here

Stephane.

• Marked as answer by scott18ss Monday, February 11, 2013 5:26 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Stephane,

Exccelent! I appreciate your hard work.

\Scott

Monday, February 11, 2013 5:27 PM