none
I keep getting this error "Cannot connect to the backend server" via UAG to different trunk apps. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few trunks setup, some authenticated publishing sharepoint sites which are my main apps as well as some trunks publishing direct port 80 web sites.

My issue is that I keep getting this "Cannot connect to the backend server". The usual case is that I sign on via the remote logon page of UAG, then while navigating on the site I get the error. Sometimes I get the error when trying to sign on also. It's a HUGE issue especially since I've gone through 3 tech support calls with Microsoft without a resolution and the fact that it is hit/miss. I don't have any specific event log errors helping me get to the issue also.

I've made sure to have my internal lan nic tcpip binding set as the first to "speed up resolution" which was the one of the suggestions from tech support, this did not help.

I setup a reg entry to ignore certificate revocation list settings on the portal, this did not help. Each of my portals has the portal redirect from 80 to 443.

I'm stuck with this error currently and people are really getting upset. As an example of the URL I get when the error pops up, he's one such url:

https://blah.domain.com/InternalSite/InternalError.asp?site_name=sharepointportal&secure=1&error_code=51

What might this be please?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I am with Microsoft support, so I'm surprised that you went through 3 separate cases for a single issue. If an issue has not been resolved during a case, you should contact the engineer who worked with you on one of the cases that are about this, and he can re-open the case and work with you. The engineer can also involved people from the Networking support team at Microsoft, should this turn out to be a network-related issue.

Specifically, I don't have a ready-made solution for you, but typically, this sort of thing should not be hard to figure out. A simple Network Monitor trace should reveal the traffic that is failing, and on which direction it fails. We have seen cases where a router blocks certain ports, cases where some networking device inserts noise into the segment and a plethora of other issues. One thing I can suggest is this: before even trying to publish an application on UAG, try to access it using a browser ON the UAG server. If you cannot, then UAG will not be able to publish it (and is also probably not "the" cause of the problem)

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, July 26, 2010 9:32 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am with Microsoft support, so I'm surprised that you went through 3 separate cases for a single issue. If an issue has not been resolved during a case, you should contact the engineer who worked with you on one of the cases that are about this, and he can re-open the case and work with you. The engineer can also involved people from the Networking support team at Microsoft, should this turn out to be a network-related issue.

Specifically, I don't have a ready-made solution for you, but typically, this sort of thing should not be hard to figure out. A simple Network Monitor trace should reveal the traffic that is failing, and on which direction it fails. We have seen cases where a router blocks certain ports, cases where some networking device inserts noise into the segment and a plethora of other issues. One thing I can suggest is this: before even trying to publish an application on UAG, try to access it using a browser ON the UAG server. If you cannot, then UAG will not be able to publish it (and is also probably not "the" cause of the problem)

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, July 26, 2010 9:32 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:32 PM
  • So did you ever find a resolution to this.  I am seeing this same issue on a new trunk specifically created to publish Sharepoint 2010.  Several other trunks work correctly.

I can access the site via a web browser on the UAG.  Its got to be an initial setup issue.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:33 PM