Default Resizing of opened window panes without using double sided arrow. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to adjust the default setting of the size opened windows WITHOUT using the double sided arrow function when moving the mouse pointer to the side of the window pane.

The reason is that when using Rockwell Automations software, RSNetworx for DeviceNet, many of the device property windows are not adjustable by using the double sided arrow given for most window panes. The opened window panes are the windows 7 theme, so I believe it's something I can adjust in the Windows 7 settings, but not with the double sided arrow option.

As a heads up here are my system properties:

Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

64-bit OS

1680x1050 Resolution on main display, 1280x1024 on extended display

Let me know if you need any other information.

• Edited by arnettaj Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Arnettaj,

The question would seem to be better suited for the vendor of that software, rather than a Windows related issue. Especially since the other windows are resizable except the control panel one. There are only two solutions that may work without further assistance from the software vender directly.

1. Would be to right click near the top of the window and see if there is a settings or customize option. Some third party software will allow you to define size parameters of the currently opened windows.

2. What is your screen resolution at? Any issue I have had with not being able to see the entire window in third party programs, browser etc. Has been because of the screen resolution. If it is low, try and increase it, also check the software manual to see if there is a optimal screen resolution for this program.

Besides those two option I don't see anything within Windows that can help with your issue. Best of luck!

EDIT: If I am understanding correctly, the screen is too small. Have you attempted double clicking on it to see if it will maximize? Or will maximizing the screen not help at all? It's tough to fully understand what you are talking about without being able to see it.
    • Edited by Acreed02 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, February 6, 2015 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:24 PM

All replies

• Go into the Control Panel an open the Mouse.  In the Pointers tab of the Mouse Properties you have the option to change the pointer icon for almost any of the mouse pointers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:51 PM
  • I'm not trying to change the icon, I'm trying to adjust the size of the window pane without using that particular resizing feature.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:24 PM
  • How else would you resize the windows?  The only other method I know of is for the programmer to specify the size of the window in the program code.  Which windows are you referring to specifically?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:45 PM
  • That's what I was hoping for. Some way to set a default value through the command prompt or another path I may be unaware of.

I'm not sure what you meant by your second question, for that can be taken two ways. If you're referring to the OS, I've specified as much as I reasonably know how, and you can direct me if you need more information. I assume you meant the window pane I'm referring to. In which case I'm referring to something you probably don't have experience with. As I continue looking into this it seems like the window just has a similar theme to windows (the OS), and is a window pane configured by the software I'm using. In any case, the software where the window pops up is called "RSNetworx for DeviceNet", and to get to the window, you have to pick a device from their catalog, and go into the device properties of the device selected.

Also, the main reason why I posted this is because I was unable to reach certain parameters because the window was too small, and I could not just "click and drag" the sides of the window pane to resize it. I do not know why it wouldn't let me, but the traditional double sided arrow (or any other icon, for that matter) would not pop up indicating that I could resize the window pane. Now, however, I am able to reach those parameters because I found a way to re-sort the list and reach the parameters that were hidden before, so now I am able to access all of the device properties within the software. The particularly small window, is still a nuisance, and I would still like a solution, if possible. If not though, it is okay, for I have access to everything I need.

EDIT: Also, I should inform you that the other windows that pop up within the software are resizable using the traditional double sided arrow tool, just not the device properties window. (Also, just to be clear, I am NOT talking about the "Device Manager" in the Windows OS. This has nothing to do with Control Panel, or any other program that comes with Windows 7 for that matter.)

• Edited by arnettaj Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Hi Arnettaj,

The question would seem to be better suited for the vendor of that software, rather than a Windows related issue. Especially since the other windows are resizable except the control panel one. There are only two solutions that may work without further assistance from the software vender directly.

1. Would be to right click near the top of the window and see if there is a settings or customize option. Some third party software will allow you to define size parameters of the currently opened windows.

2. What is your screen resolution at? Any issue I have had with not being able to see the entire window in third party programs, browser etc. Has been because of the screen resolution. If it is low, try and increase it, also check the software manual to see if there is a optimal screen resolution for this program.

Besides those two option I don't see anything within Windows that can help with your issue. Best of luck!

EDIT: If I am understanding correctly, the screen is too small. Have you attempted double clicking on it to see if it will maximize? Or will maximizing the screen not help at all? It's tough to fully understand what you are talking about without being able to see it.
    • Edited by Acreed02 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger Lu Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, February 6, 2015 7:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:24 PM