none
Unable to download after downgrading from IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• At the enterprise I work at Internet Explorer 10 was installed automatically by accident, there were a lot of websites that were incompatible so we had to downgrade to IE9.  Since then on 100% of the computers users are unable to download ANYTHING. If you try to download something from any webpage (including Microsoft) you will either get a "unable to download" or nothing happens.  The one commonality is that these computers are Windows 7 64-bit SP1.  Other than that they were loaded by different people using different images.

So as of right now not even Windows Updates works, you can't even view downloads in IE.  Here are just some of the steps I've done to fix this.

Reset IE
    Restore Advanced Settings
    Allow basically everything in security settings
    Change temporary internet files location
    Delete Temp file
    Delete all history, download history, temporary internet files
    Add "SkipSSLNoCacheCheck" and "SkipHTTPNoCacheCheck" in registry
    Re-register every DLL I can find

I believe the problem has something to do with caching because the SkipSSLNoCacheCheck registry entries will fix it if you downgrade from IE10 all the way back down to IE8.  But it does not work with IE9.  Given that this has affected every computer we've downgraded on I've got to believe that other people have experienced this.  Anyone?

EDIT: I notice that in the History Settings page the Current Location is blank and I can't change the Check for newer versions of stored pages as well as the Disk space to use is always 0 and I'm unable to change that.  Also pressing Alt + J doesn't do anything.

I've got to believe this is a bug in Internet Explorer.  I've tried all the normal things to fix, delete temporary internet files, history, cookies folders.  Change locations in registry.  Etc.. etc..
    Monday, April 15, 2013 1:23 PM

Answers

• I just logged in as another domain user - first time that user was ever logged in on this computer.  Download links now work.  I'm afraid the solution is going to be delete the local user and recreate their account.

I'm following the steps in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile now - I'll be sure to follow up when I'm done.

-It worked!  But not by following the exact steps in the article above.  Luckily, I documented what I did.  I'm editing it together and sometime in the next 10-12 hours or so, I'll have a place for it on my own website.  The page will be available then... I'll put the URL here in advance:

http://NuAngel.net/?p=2704

NuAngel

Don't forget, if you find the help you need, click the "Propose as Answer" link at the bottom of the post containing the solution!
    NuAngel.net

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How did you 'downgrade'?

My guess... firewall

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Just uninstalled from Programs and Features.  How would firewall have any effect on IE temporary internet files?
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem and have been unable to find a solution. 
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:00 PM
  • I was working on a differnet PC but ran across the same issue.  I could not download files from any website.  I disabled Windows Firewall and rebooted.  I was then able to download files off the internet.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:50 PM
  • This might be relevant: bremicem.com/losa/2013/04/10/ie--temporary-internet-files-corruption/
    Friday, April 19, 2013 10:36 AM
  • bremicem.com

If that's not a typo you may have to provide a lookup.   My DNS doesn't have it.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 3:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry, that was a typo: http://bremiclem.com/losa/2013/04/10/ie-temporary-internet-files-corruption/
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:06 AM
  • EDIT: I notice that in the History Settings page the Current Location is blank and I can't change the Check for newer versions of stored pages as well as the Disk space to use is always 0 and I'm unable to change that.   

Both symptoms sound like permissions problems.    Try using ProcMon to check on that possibility.

Also pressing Alt + J doesn't do anything.

That should be Ctrl-j.  But you should also be able to open it using the Tools menu (Alt-x,n).   If you could open it you could try using its Options button to change the download location, e.g. to somewhere where file permissions were less of an issue.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:03 PM
    Answerer
  • I am also having this same exact issue on a client's computer.  I am logged in to the computer as the domain admin.  Clicking a download link appears to open a new IE Window, then the Window disappears, but the download never gives me the "Run / Save / Cancel" prompt.

I have ensured DEP is enabled in Windows 7 and gone to the Programs and Features menu and uninstalled something called "Internet Explorer (Enable DEP)."  No change.
    I've run several AV and rootkit products, no results. No change.
    At least four different Microsoft FixIT utilities for IE, including those meant to "repair" IE9 in Windows7.  No change.
    Tried Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).  No change.
    Manually remapped the Quicklaunch icon in the Super Bar to C:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe.  No change.
    sfc /scannow.  No change.
    Reset IE as the "default program."  No change.

Anybody else got any other tricks up their sleeves?

Don't forget, if you find the help you need, click the "Propose as Answer" link at the bottom of the post containing the solution!
    NuAngel.net

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:20 PM
  • I just logged in as another domain user - first time that user was ever logged in on this computer.  Download links now work.  I'm afraid the solution is going to be delete the local user and recreate their account.

I'm following the steps in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile now - I'll be sure to follow up when I'm done.

-It worked!  But not by following the exact steps in the article above.  Luckily, I documented what I did.  I'm editing it together and sometime in the next 10-12 hours or so, I'll have a place for it on my own website.  The page will be available then... I'll put the URL here in advance:

http://NuAngel.net/?p=2704

NuAngel

NuAngel.net

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:56 PM
  • I have confirmed that recreating the Profile will fix the issue.  but it would be better if we knew which part of the profile is the problem and just fix that.

I have a terminal Server environment where this has happened and it is not  feasible to have to recreate everybody's Profile.

Would be nice if someone From Microsoft  acknowledged this issue and provided a fix for it.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Oddly, I've also noticed that when downgrading from IE10 on a machine with multiple user profiles, the only profile that does not corrupt is the administrators profile. IE9 works as it should and the browser cache defaults to 250 MB. Downgrading all the way back to IE8 and then upgrading to IE9 does not resolve the issue with other user profiles.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I also encountered this problem. I'm afraid I didn't meticulously document my work, but here are the step I took that might be relevant. I downgraded to IE9 and then down to IE8. I tried the BypassSSLNoCacheCheck and BypassHTTPNoCacheCheck settings in the registry, which didn't work for me. I tried moving the location of the temporary internet files folder by modifying it directly in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Shell

This didn't work either. While I could see that I had the invisible content.ie5 folder in there, plus the randomly named folders, there was nothing cached in those folders. Cacls.exe showed that the user had full control, and I could past files into those folders. This seemed to rule out a problem with permissions on the temp ie files folder.  The big clue for me was this thread when someone said that it worked for the administrator account, but not others. While logged in as the affected user, I tried deleting:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer (the entire folder, with all its subkeys)

and also: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings (again, the entire folder, along with all its subkeys).

I tried running IE again, and downloads work again! In the internet control panel, I now see a path listed for the temporary files folder (the path I specified), and the cache is set to 50MB now instead of being stuck at 0. I haven't tried updating back to IE9 yet.

I suspect that changing the location of the temporary IE files folder was unessecary, and that all that I really needed to do was delete the two regkey folders. IE10 may be adding some setting there that gets left after uninstalling it that causes IE9 and IE8 to choke. Hopefully this will save someone the trouble of rebuilding profiles.

• Proposed as answer by jwalker55 Friday, May 10, 2013 1:39 PM
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:34 PM
  • TheRunningMan's solution works perfectly. Thank you!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:44 PM
  • TheRunningMan is dead on.  I found out that all I needed to do was delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings folder

By just deleting that one, it restored the temp folder settings and didn't require the user to chose their settings again when they first started IE (it would if you delete the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer folder).

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Running man, i just removed the last key you had listed and it worked. I was on IE 9, didnt downgrade to 8.

Full story. User had IE10, downgraded to 9 Stopped working. Did  system restore back to day one (no programs lost) and IE10 was back and it was functional. Downgraded again and it stopped working.

So this definately points to IE10 downgrades as the issue.

Removed the last HKCU key you had listed? PRESTO windows updates and downloads work again after removing IE10.

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Hi Cyprus

It seems that IE10 handles the cache, history and downloads differently due to security concerns.

I have spent countless hours trying to fix this and found that the cause of the problem seems to be downgrading not using the local administrator account. I tried nearly every single suggestion found on different forums but made no difference.

If you have this problem this is where you'd identify things cannot easily be fixed:

IE9 -->Tool-->Internet Options-->Browsing History -->Settings button --> Current Location NO PATH SHOWN.

If you try to add one manually you get error "Something about needing enough disk space" (weird)

What I did (not optimal but works) but not ideal for widespread situations:

1. Create a folder on the C drive and move all the profile data (documents, favorites, Outlook autocomplete, etc) as a backup measure

2.Login as thge local administrator and delete the affected profile (renaming does not work)

3.Reboot and recreate the affected user's profile

4. Restore the backup data to its original location.

Maybe those who have many computers affected could use the profile copy feature?

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Internet Explorer 10 をアンインストールすると Internet Explorer 8 や 9 でダウンロードができない

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2864931/ja

IE9へダウングレード後、ファイルのダウンロードができなくなった - マイクロソフト コミュニティ

Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:41 AM
  • I had similar issues. You post helped me so much.

I only deleted the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings folder.

In my case, I had downgraded from IE10 to IE9, but then IE9 was giving me issues so I downgraded to IE8, but couldn't upgrade to IE9 via Windows Update or the standalone updater. In addition to the above, I needed to Enable the built-in Administrator account on my computer first. The I was able to run the standalone installer "Run as Administrator" and IE9 reinstalled correctly.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:05 PM
  • NuAngel, you are AWESOME!   I was ready to kill the mosquito with a jet fighter and REBUILD THE WHOLE COMPUTER!  Your posted solution was spot on!  Not only that, but it was also educational on how to rebuild a profile of a user on a domain where the credentials are stored on the server!!

Thank you!!

Debbie

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:50 PM
  • After downgrading from IE10 to IE9:

Symptoms

Going into Internet Options>General tab>Browsing history-Settings shows the following:

1) Disk space to use = 0
    2) Current location = <blank>
    Attempting to increase the size of the Disk space to use results in the error popup:
    "Please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use."
     Attempting to Move folder is also unsuccessful.

Solution

1) Login as the affected user.
    2) Run regedit (supply admin credentials as needed.)
    3) Navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\5.0\Cache
    4) Delete (or rename, if you want to be cautious) the following key (and its subkeys):
      Extensible Cache
    5) You may now open IE (no need to relog,reboot or exit regedit).
    6) IE will automatically create new Extensible Cache registry keys
    7) Navigate to
    Internet Options>General>Browsing history-Settings
    8) You should now have "Disk space to use" = 250, and the "Current location" should show a valid path.
    9) Once you are satisfied of success, delete the old renamed keys.

10) Repeat for each affected user of that PC.

• Proposed as answer by TG99 Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:50 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Thanks TheRunningMan and jwalker55.  Deleting registry folder key and all sub keys for:  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings fixed the issue of not being able to download (or apparently get any button to work) after upgrading to IE 11 on Windows Server 2008 R2.  I closed all IE instances before making the change.  Looking in regedit after starting IE, the folder folder key is recreated but with fewer entries.

Matt

• Edited by Matt7 Friday, December 27, 2013 8:41 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 8:39 PM
  • after notching my hairs for 7hours straight!! finally someone with the answer
    THANKSSSSSSSS TheRunningMan, thumbs up buddy
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:45 AM