Remove duplicate lines of data in a word document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I have a word document of over 500 pages, some of which contain duplicate entries throughout the series. I do not know what these duplicate lines contain but I know there is duplication of some of the data. Is there a a tool or a technique to just simply remove any duplicate content from the document, thereby reducing the number of pages?

Thanks in advance

CybGunny

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:25 PM

All replies

• The answer depends on two things: 1. How are these 'lines' terminated (e.g. paragraph break, manual line break or normal text wrapping); and 2. Are these 'lines' consecutive?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:17 AM
  • Hi CybGunny,

As was mentioned by Paul, could you please clarify what do you exactly mean by "duplicate entries" so that we can understand better about your issue?

If you meant the duplicated paragraphs, you may consider copying the entire document and then pasting it to Excel. Each paragraph will be placed in to a separate row, so that you can select the column, go to Data > Data tools > Remove duplicates to remove the duplicated entries:

Feel free to let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi CybGunny,

Any update about the issue? If you found the post above helpful, it would be appreciated that you can help mark it as answer to close the thread. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:38 AM