none
Internet Explorer 11 fails to install on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 & repeatedly generates error code 9C47 or 9C49 RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 11 fails to install on Microsoft Server 2008 R2 & repeatedly generates error code 9C47 or 9C49

Greetings,

I was asked to update our Windows 2008 R2 server from IE 10 to IE11, and it will not install properly.  I have looked up several solutions to this issue, so far nothing has worked.
    I disabled McAfee HBSS in safe mode, restarted the PC and tried to run Windows Update managed by a WSUS server.  The update gets approved and pushed out to the 2008 R2 server.  It downloads IE11, tries to install, then fails/errors-out at the last second. I have tried this a few times, rebooted and either get error code 9C47 or 9C49.

Some of the suggested fixes I have tried:

I turned of internet connectivity and the anti-virus
    I tried the Windows Update repair tool
    I tried the Windows System Readiness tool
    I tried to scan the system files for errors with sfc /scannow
    I tried installing the other updates first, restarting and it still fails 
    I removed the server listing from the WSUS server, and re-added it and it will not update   
    I tried the stand-alone IE11 installer, and it fails at the very last step and then gives me an error with a link to troubleshoot IE installations   
    I have uninstalled IE10, and now am stuck with Internet Explorer 9
    RT returns no errors
    SFC returns no errors

None of the recommendations have worked so far.  

If there is anyone who has any other suggestions, it would be much appreciated!
    Thank you kindly! 

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:19 PM

Answers

• I disabled McAfee HBSS in safe mode, restarted the PC and tried to run Windows Update managed by a WSUS server.  

I turned of internet connectivity and the anti-virus 

Often and more particularly lately, it seems that simply disabling an interferer is not sufficient.  It needs to be uninstalled if it is still interfering.

I tried the Windows Update repair tool
    I tried the Windows System Readiness tool

I tried the stand-alone IE11 installer, and it fails at the very last step and then gives me an error with a link to troubleshoot IE installations    

All of those have diagnostics which could be considered.   FWIW I would be running PRocMon to supplement them (as well as find others which were not as evident.)

have uninstalled IE10, and now am stuck with Internet Explorer 9   

More significantly at what maintenance level?  Others have found that they get stuck inexplicably at very old maintenance levels.  Use msinfo32.exe Loaded Modules to check what you are getting and make sure it matches at least the versions which are implied by the latest IE cumulative update's File Information list.  FWIW I'm on W10 and can't tell you exactly what that should be now and I can't remember if IE9 had a link to its supposedly installed latest update's KB article in its Help About display.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:10 PM
    Answerer