Startup errors Windows XP Professional SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Approximately 3 days ago, I was working in a music production program(Ableton Live 8)when my computer froze. The only significant upgrades I have recently made were the normal Automatic updates from Microsoft, a Java update, a Mozilla Firefox update, drivers for the cable modem I am using(Motorola Surfboard 5100), and drivers for an M-Audio Midisport Uno USB/Audio interface. I was able to shut it down and restart normally. I also defragged the hard drive about two weeks ago. Upon logging in, it displayed a message that significant hardware changes had taken place and I needed to re-register Windows-which was done successfully I was able to start normally twice-however, when I logged in on my Administrator account, the computer would restart after about two minutes, or whenever I started using any programs.

After this, I was only able to login using the guest account-which, understandably, has no access to my most valued programs. Upon restarting the computer, I got a BSOD which I was unable to read. The computer then went into a startup loop. I went through the procedure of disabling automatic restart and recieved the subsequent message: kdcom.dll-Address F7B43160 base at F7B42000, Datestamp 4F8F0F42   Technical info:0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF7B43160, 0xF7B8D864, 0xF7BD560).

After much research, I put the computer into Safe Mode with Networking, downloaded a new kdcom.dll file, and placed that into the system32 folder(after renaming the old kdcom.dll file as kdcombackup.dll). I then went into the command prompt and attempted to register the new file with the following command line: regsvr32 kdcom.dll...whereupon I got the message "Invalid access to memory location." Along the way, I removed unneeded programs, used two different restore points, and also used msconfig to perform a Normal Startup to load all device drivers and services. I also removed all peripherals, disassembled the computer(an HP Compaq nc8000)to remove the real-time battery so I could enter the BIOS and/or reset it(but was unable to find it), re-assembled the computer, and repeated the above mentioned steps in Safe Mode.

After a few attempts at this method, I restarted the computer and it functioned properly. However, when I restarted the computer to make sure it was correctly repaired, it returned to the same startup loop-this time returning a Plug and Play error: STOP 0x000000CA (0x0000005, 0x8437E030, 0x00000000, 0x000000000).

Going back into Safe Mode, I tried the same method, this time using: regsvr32/i kdcom.dll to the same results as above. I then used the command line: regsvr32 obdc32.dll, which loaded the library(supposedly), but returned a message of "DLLRegisterServer entry point not found."

As I purchased my notebook as a floor model from a licensed distributor, I do not have the original startup disk, nor any way to obtain it, as the purchase was made maybe three years ago. The computer has never malfunctioned prior to this point. I keep no downloads on the main hard drive except for updates to the main programs that I use. All media and documents are kept on one of two external hard drives, along with any backups.

This is extremely frustrating, as i am not able to get any work accomplished to satisfy my customers. If anyone can provide any guidance or details on solving this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. As you can see from the body of this post, I possess an intermediate level of understanding, so any instruction you can give will not be beyond my means. Thanks

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:23 PM