win7 SP1 update error (ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running win7 Home Premium 64bit which came with my laptop. It's completely in english, en-us.

When trying to install either the SP1 or IE9, I get an error. I didn't care much for the error installing IE9, since I use Firefox, but SP1 is kind of an important update I'd like to install.

The error, as a lot of other people, is ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING, 0x80073701.

I tried the System Update Readiness Tool, but no luck; sfc /scannow presented no errors.

Then I had a look at the log file CBS.log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and I found this line:

2011-06-28 20:23:58, Error                 CSI    00000021 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING) #1803847# from Windows::ServicingAPI::CCSITransaction::ICSITransaction_PinDeployment(Flags = 0, a = Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Deployment-LanguagePack, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"nl-NL", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, cb = (null), s = (null), rid = [132]"Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~nl-NL~6.1.7600.16385.Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Update", rah = (null), manpath = (null), catpath = (null), ed = 0, disp = 0)[gle=0x80073701]

Clearly hinting that I have some leftover dutch installation here.... which is strange, since I chose the language when I first booted it.

I've searched the registry and found some references to nl-nl language (unrelated to the different MUI packages), but I can't delete these keys. For example, there is one in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageDetect\Microsoft-Windows-ClipsInTheLibrary-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~0.0.0.0

called

Microsoft-Windows-ClipsInTheLibrary-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~nl-NL~6.1.7600.16385

Wher I also have

Microsoft-Windows-ClipsInTheLibrary-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7600.16385

and

Microsoft-Windows-ClipsInTheLibrary-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514

and nothing else. There are several other keys where I have some nl-nl package where only en-us ones should be.... but I can't delete these entries. :(

How do I remove these entries so that SP1 can install.

ps: I don't have an installation disc, so I can't perform a inplace install (or whatever it's called).

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:37 AM

Answers

• Well guys, I got the win7 home premium x64 .iso, mounted it with DaemonTools and performed the inplace upgrade.

After that, the SP1 and the IE9 installed perfectly.

Turns out it was crap left over by the OEM.... as so often happens with pre-installed windows. Apparently, in this case, they used the dutch (nl-nl) version as a starting point and all other languages were then added to that image which they copied to the laptops hard drive.... they didn't even bother to change the key to the one on the sticker!
    • Marked as answer by pocaracas Friday, August 12, 2011 10:39 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What error did you receive when you want to delete these registry Keys?

According to the CBS file, that record the error related with IE troubleshooter. Please fix IE first, you can refer this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If it doesn’t work, try to logon with Safe Mode and delete these registry keys for test.

Furthermore, you can perform a system restore and install Windows SP1 package again.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Thanks for your reply leo HuangLijun, however, no go. :( 

Tried that article, did the manual way (because the tool didn't work) and then tried installing SP1 again. No go. Same error.

Tried going into safe mode and deleting the nl-nl entries in the registry. No go. I get the same "error" message: unable to delete all specified values.

I dug out the permissions for this particular key and only a user called "Trusted Installer" has full control over it. Admins can only read. I tried changing permissions and got "Unable to save permission changes on Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~0.0.0.0.
    Access is denied.", even though I'm an administrator...

I looked at the MUI key in "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguage" and found I only have en-us language installed... as expected. So why am I getting these nl-nl entries elsewhere?

The system restore option sounds good, but... restore it to when? I have a lot of stuff installed that I don't want to loose and shouldn't loose just to install a service pack.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by danma_ Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:36 AM
  • How to reslve the error 0x80073701:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/06/20/how-to-resolve-the-error-0x80073701-error-sxs-assembly-missing-when-you-are-installing-a-service-pack-or-hotfix.aspx

Thanks danma_, but I've done all that's suggested there and the problem persists.

I've talked to a MS representative and he's tried everything he had until he decided it was best to send me a DVD of win7 to perform an in-place upgrade... a few days later, I got the DVD of win7... with SP1!

I tried the in-place upgrade and guess what? It required that I had win 7 with SP1 already installed!!! AARGH!!

The MS guy then called me to check up and I told him what happened... It seems the people who send the DVDs are not the people who we talk to on the phone.

He said he'd send me a link to a win7 .iso file from MS.... but I've been waiting for it for over a week and nothing. :(

I guess I have to go rogue and get a "pirate" copy of win7... -.-'
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Well guys, I got the win7 home premium x64 .iso, mounted it with DaemonTools and performed the inplace upgrade.

After that, the SP1 and the IE9 installed perfectly.

Turns out it was crap left over by the OEM.... as so often happens with pre-installed windows. Apparently, in this case, they used the dutch (nl-nl) version as a starting point and all other languages were then added to that image which they copied to the laptops hard drive.... they didn't even bother to change the key to the one on the sticker!
    • Marked as answer by pocaracas Friday, August 12, 2011 10:39 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 10:39 AM