none
Administrative Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Using a Non-Direct Plan (i.e. Vacation Leave, Sick Leave), is there a way to just make those tasks appear when time needs to be charged against it?  Also, is there a way those tasks from coming up on reports showing capacity?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:10 PM

Answers

• Alright let me try and answer this both technically and from a process perspective.

• Technically, you can only show Non-Project Tasks on a timesheet, when created by going to Server Settings > Timesheet Settings > and selclecting No prepoluation. This will make sure no project tasks are displayed initially, and team member can add the prioject task IF necessary.
    • Now the process answer. Using "MY Tasks" for Project tasks, "My timesheet" for Non-project tasks, although isn't wrong, creates confusion for team members. they are having to enter inforamtion in two different places. In additon, the database information will be incomplete and differnt with data coming from two different entry points to the system. So, I would agree with Peter above and recommed to us only ONE of these as your primary input source and then sync the other one to it.
    • And finally for Reports question: I am assuming you have a Custom "Utlization" Report. If you do not want to see hours from Non-Project Tasks, then use the information from EPM Timesheet or Project Timesheet cubes. These cubes only consider the "project" work.
    • But I wonder, if a resource spends 6 hours on project tasks and 2 hours on an admin task, wouldn't I want my report to show all these hours?

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://msprojectideas.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• Fred1N,

Could you please give some more details to your question?

I am assuming you just want to show Admin Tasks in the timesheet, and not any project tasks. You can probably do that by setting "Publish" to "No" on all your project tasks, but obviously that will also take away the tasks from "Tasks" page.

AS for the question on reports for Capacity, which specific report are you talking about? Logically, your capacity is affected by any time-off, etc., wouldn't it?

Also it would be helpful, if you speciy the version of Project Server you are using.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Thanks for the response...here's clarification on my questions:

1. Using MS Project 2007 SP2.
    2. Using Tasks to charge time against the project and not using Timesheets.
    3. Using a Non-Direct Plan that has administrative tasks such vacation, jury duty, sick leave, etc...
    4. How can we prevent the tasks from displaying under MyTask all the time.  Is there a way to only have tasks show up when needed?  Not really sure if the setting Publish to No will work. 
    5. On the question on reports, a user who has been assigned tasks under a non-direct plan seem to be showing up on a utilization report.  Since a user has those tasks assigned, that time is showing up as utilized.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi Fred,

In Project Server 2003 you had the option to create administrative projects (projects with only admin tasks). In Project 2007 you have the My Task and the My Timesheet grid. When dealing with vacation requests, jury duty and sick leave, this is non planned work and I am guessing that these data goes to the line manager in charge of the resources entering these data. I would therefor advise you to use the Timesheet instead as this will allow you to use and define administrative tasks from server settings without the use of a project plan. Maybe you have already tried this or have some other respons to why this is not the way to go?

P.S.

In Project Server 2010 you can turn on single entry mode which enables you to do almost anything from just the timesheet including remaining work changes, new tasks, request admin work and so on.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Alright let me try and answer this both technically and from a process perspective.

• Technically, you can only show Non-Project Tasks on a timesheet, when created by going to Server Settings > Timesheet Settings > and selclecting No prepoluation. This will make sure no project tasks are displayed initially, and team member can add the prioject task IF necessary.
    • Now the process answer. Using "MY Tasks" for Project tasks, "My timesheet" for Non-project tasks, although isn't wrong, creates confusion for team members. they are having to enter inforamtion in two different places. In additon, the database information will be incomplete and differnt with data coming from two different entry points to the system. So, I would agree with Peter above and recommed to us only ONE of these as your primary input source and then sync the other one to it.
    • And finally for Reports question: I am assuming you have a Custom "Utlization" Report. If you do not want to see hours from Non-Project Tasks, then use the information from EPM Timesheet or Project Timesheet cubes. These cubes only consider the "project" work.
    • But I wonder, if a resource spends 6 hours on project tasks and 2 hours on an admin task, wouldn't I want my report to show all these hours?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Peter,

The problem is that for now, the direction set by our organization is that we're not using timesheets.  So I was trying to figure out a way to handle the tasks not showing up everytime.  It seems that timesheets is the way to go but for now we're only using tasks.  Maybe when we migrate to 2010, we'll start using timesheets and utilize the functions that timesheets have to avoid this.

Fred

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:28 PM