none
DHCP client service - No internet. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Microsoft Community, hope you can help, I am brain frazzled and about ready to launch my PC out of the back door.

I am running an Acer Aspire E700 with Vista Home Premium (service pack 2).  I recently picked up the scareware virus Data Recovery and managed to get rid using the instructions at

http://deletemalware.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/how-to-remove-data-recovery-uninstall.html

All is well in most respects but since picking up the virus I have been unable to connect to the internet.

When I hover the mouse over the 'currently connected to' graphic it shows Identifying 'Cookies' (Cookies is the name of my network)  Access Local Only.

When I try to ping the router in the command prompt it responds: Transmit failed, error code 1231

When I diagnose in ncpa.cpl it states 'The DCHP Client service is not running.

When I go to Administration tools>services>dchp client and try to start it it throws up the error:  Windows could not start the DCHP Client Service.  Error 1075:  The dependency service does not exist or has been maarked for deletion.

I have run microsoft fixit 50203 - no change

i have tried ipconfig /flushdns - no change

When I tried ipconfig /release, i got 'An error occured while releasing interface wireless network connection 3:  The RPC server is unreachable.

I have tried copying AFD.sys to a memory stick from C/windows/system32/drivers on a working PC and pasting it to the same location on my PC.

Having done all that I have restarted my PC and opened event viwer in admin tools and it shows an error, which reads, The DHCP Client service depends the following service: Afd. This service might not be installed.
    The XML view gives.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7003</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-04T20:22:38.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>496309</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>God-PC</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">DHCP Client</Data>
      <Data Name="param2">Afd</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Any ideas at all folks?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:17 PM

All replies