none
Using multiple tape libraries with DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I can't find an answer to this so I'm turning to the experts :)

I am running DPM 2010, and have been for some time now without major problems. 

In my current setup I have 2 tape libraries, which work well for the scheduled jobs and tape to tape backups.  One thing I haven't seen is DPM using the 2 libraries simultaneously except during tape to tape operations.  Does DPM use 2 libraries at the same time if 2 jobs scheduled for the same time are set to use different libraries?

TIA

John

Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

DPM schedules tape backups for each data source in a protection group.  Each protection group only supports a single tape library for normal backups. This means if you want both tape libraries to be used simultaniously, you must have more than one protection group, and each configured to use different tape libraries.

Example:

PG1 = DS1, DS2, DS3 configured for library1
    PG2 = DS4, DS5, DS6 configured for library2

With the above configuration, if both PG's are configured to start backups at 8:00PM, DS1-DS3 will be written to tapes in Library1, and DS4-DS6 will be written to Library2 simultaniously.

Hope this helped.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Close but no cigar, as they say.  The configuration I have is exactly like that but the question in my head remains that I don't know if DPM will actually use 2 tape libraries simultaneously for 2 different jobs.  I believe I have read somewhere that it will use 2 drives in one library (for the same job).  If it doesn't, then there is little point in having 2 except for the tape to tape copies.  No real speed advantage, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

John

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hi John,

DPM schedules tape backups for each data source in a protection group.  Each protection group only supports a single tape library for normal backups. This means if you want both tape libraries to be used simultaniously, you must have more than one protection group, and each configured to use different tape libraries.

Example:

PG1 = DS1, DS2, DS3 configured for library1
    PG2 = DS4, DS5, DS6 configured for library2

With the above configuration, if both PG's are configured to start backups at 8:00PM, DS1-DS3 will be written to tapes in Library1, and DS4-DS6 will be written to Library2 simultaniously.

Hope this helped.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:08 AM
  • I don't know if that still helps, but the answer is yes, DPM 2012 may have simultaneous backup jobs running. We are using 6 virtual libraries (HP D2D2503i backup system) for our backups and it is working flawlessly - each one of the libraries has its own protection group and they all run at the same time.

Regards

Rui Meleiro

• Edited by rmeleiro Monday, September 17, 2012 5:29 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Did you ever get a solution for this issue? I am also having similar issue. Library 1 I have store once VTL and copy Library i have physical tape library. the issue is I am able to backup the data into VTL but nothing goes into physical tape library. Any idea anyone?
    Monday, September 3, 2018 1:06 PM
  • Anyone Any idea for above issue? thanks
    Monday, September 10, 2018 7:37 AM