Auto Resolve conflicting records delay RRS feed

• Question

• Curious if others are experiencing this. I have now seen this behavior in my Lab as well
    as my production servers so thinking it’s not just me but just in case.

Scenario: I rebuild an existing client. Upon first login I see the client communicating
    with the MP, gathering policy data, etc. Approx. 5-10 minutes in, everything
    goes silent, software distribution agent goes back to disabled and the client
    goes dormant for about 45 min. Once this time has passed, the client kicks back
    up and gets all its policies once again everything continues to work going
    forward.

This does NOT happen when it’s a new object in the SCCM database which leads me to
    believe it’s the "Auto resolve conflicting records" setting. In 2007
    we always set this to manually resolve and used a script that runs every 5
    minutes to merge any conflicting records.

I don’t see anywhere in the console (or help files for that matter) that state you can
    change whatever the default time that SCCM 2012 merges conflicting records. In
    my testing it appears to be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Also from what
    I am reading (and will validate in testing) is that even if you change the
    Hierarchy Settings to "Manually Resolve" conflicting records, this setting
    is ignored when using a domain machine or PKI.

The major problem that arises in the auto resolve scenario is that if a policy is received
    for a "Deployment" right after the rebuild, unless you click it right
    away and beat the window from which the client goes quiet again, you could see
    it in Software Center but when you try to install it it states its "no
    longer available" and stays that way until the client recovers.

Anyone else seeing this behavior and if so what have you done to overcome it short of
    rebuilding a machine and then letting it sit for an hour before taking action
    on it. That would be a major step backwards for us.

Thanks!

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:01 PM

All replies

• "Auto resolve conflicting records" happens as soon as the (conflicting) record reaches the MP/database; there's no interval involved as far as I know.
    The existing client records for domain joined or PKI clients will automatically be merged (this changed from CM07) where the old record became obsolete).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:32 PM
  • With that said, any ideas why there is such a delay in the client becoming functional again?  I would prefer the client not do anything until this conflict is resolved so that it doesnt preset someone with a deployment and then shutdown making the deployment "no longer available".
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:40 PM
  • More info...just pushed the SCCM 2012 SP1 client to a SCCM 2007 client and saw the exact same result.  The object DID exist in the SCCM 2012 Database through Discovery however as you might guess, was just a basic discovered object and no client.  The client installed and everything started churning through (client shows as active in the console). 

You can watch the execmgr.log show Software Distribution Agent was Enabled.  Then about 7 minutes later the agent gets disabled (along with all the agents, like the client policy gets "reset") again and the client goes effectivly "to sleep" which appears to mimick the behavior in SCCM 2007 when a conflicting records exists on the server. 

If its truly an instant resolve on the server, then I am stumped as to what could be causing this behavior.  Anyone else on SP1 that can tell me if you see this same thing?  Again, if I delete the object from the SCCM database, then rebuild I do not see this issue..

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:28 PM
  • More info..  In my SCCM 2012 RTM Lab this behavior does not exists.  I can rebuild the same machine as many times as I like and the client stays activated.  I also have SP1 in my lab and the same behavior as described above happens.  Smells like an SP1 thing.  Would love to see if anyone else who has SP1 up and using OSD see the same thing or if its truly just me..
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:27 PM