Hyper-V virtual machine shuts down weekly. RRS feed

• Question

• Every Monday morning at exactly 0700 I have two of the three 2012 virtual machines on a specific host that just shut down.  I have no policy or settings for them to do this.  The server has 15TB of space, 128GB ram and barely using 10% of the processor so its not a host issue and they are activated with a good license.  Good thing is that the DC is not affected but the production server that host licenses is, any suggestions on where to look for the problem?
    Monday, May 2, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• There is something on your network/system causing this. You need to check the logs of the servers, Hyper-V etc and see what's happening at 7:00. 

Since it's occurring at the same specific time, there's got to be some task that scheduled to run.

Have you checked task scheduler on the affected VMs?  Again, what happens in the logs before they shut down.

Are they clean shutdowns, or do you get errors that the system wasn't powered off correctly?

Ideally, get more info, and repost in the correct forum: Hyper-V : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/threads

Monday, May 2, 2016 7:38 PM
  • The Hyper-V host has nothing in the logs other then a DistributedCOM error that says it cant reach the host since I have them connected to the Server Manager.

On the VM it shows the logs stating Kernel-Power has initiated a shutdown transition.  Looking at the logs prior to this it says the process C:\Windows\system32\silsvc.exe has initiated the shutdown of the cumputer on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found.  Reason code 0x2000c.  Shutdown type: shutdown.  Comment: Licensing Compliance Service caused a shutdown.  Please look at the events under Microsoft > Windows > Server Infrastructure Licensing > Operational for details.

Pulling up this error states this:

The Non-domain Member Check detected a condition in your environment that is out of compliance with the licensing policy.  This server with be automatically shut down if the issue is not corrected.  Please look for additional Non-domain Member Check to troubleshoot.

After finding this I found this article.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/95a2e5d6-cb71-4f58-b61e-874a91bdffb8/the-nondomain-member-check-policy-shuts-down-my-server?forum=winserveressentials 

Looks like I found the issue, in this post he comments that only one version of Essentials server is allowed on the network but I have six which have only started to receive this error in the last few weeks after being stood up a few months ago.  Asked the question on the other forum to see if this is the reason I am out of compliance.

• Edited by Loren Clint Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:04 PM Correction
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Believe I found the issue if someone can confirm this.  Read a post about EULA on Windows Essentials Server and after hardening the OS according to government policy I have removed unnecessary roles and features including the Essentials.  By doing this I may have violated the EULA causing the license violation error forcing it to shutdown weekly.  Little choice I have since the Essentials role puts a DFS share on everything and adds a lot of unnecessary roles on everything and a few of the servers I bypassed and disabled this wizard instead of completing it to same time removing these since they are persistent when trying to remove.  Also was having errors as it was trying to install each server as the Domain Controller or after joining the domain it would cause errors in the Essentials Wizard.

The only servers that do not restart seem to be the ones that have completed the Essentials roles and I have cleaned up such as the Domain Controllers.  

My assumption is that the EULA was violated because the wizard was not completed or due to it being disabled in the registry.  I will being reverting this to see if the errors are cleared. 

• Edited by Loren Clint Monday, May 9, 2016 6:35 PM correction
    Monday, May 9, 2016 6:34 PM
  • I have the same 7am Monday morning shutdown issue on a VM installed with 2016 Essentials. I have also not completed the Wizard, and have joined the VM to the domain, of which the DC is the host Server. Thank you, this is a helpful nudge in the right direction.  Will examine the EULA to understand what breach may exist, because from my understanding the licensing for 2016 works based on CPU cores. 
    Monday, July 3, 2017 5:36 PM