Moving mailbox from exchange server 2007 sp3 to exchange server 2010 sp3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

In my network we're using exchange 2007 sp3 running on win server 2008 . But recently I installed exchange 2010 sp3 on a new server running on win server 2008 r2 with the same domain. I migrated the active directory without problems. And even installing exchange 2010 was ok.I created a test user in exchange 2007 and another on exhange 2010 and each  user is created simultaneously on the other side .A user created in exchange 2007 can communicate(send and receive internal and external ) with the one created in exchange 2010 and vice versa. When I try to move a mailbox of the test user from exchange 2010 to exchange 2007, it's workin fine but when I try to move the test mail box created in exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 I receive this error:

Error occurred in the step: Preparing mailbox to be moved. Failed to copy basic mailbox information with error: A duplicate mailbox was found due to problems during a Move Mailbox procedure. The duplicate mailbox has been deleted. Try again later., error code: -1056749241

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    ‘Organizational Unit location in Active Directory’ | move-mailbox -TargetDatabase ‘server name\storage group name\database name’

Please advise

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Irak,

When mailboxes are moved from an Exchange 2010 SP1 database to any other database, Exchange doesn't fully delete the mailbox from the source database immediately upon completion of the move. Instead, the mailbox in the source mailbox database is switched to a soft-deleted state.

The soft-deleted mailboxes are retained in the source database until either the deleted mailbox retention period expires or you use the Remove-StoreMailbox cmdlet to purge the mailbox.

So I recommend you to run the remove-storemailbox cmdlet to check the result.

Here is a similar case thread for your reference.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/16f7382c-b609-4399-8741-98a728fab9ae/move-mailbox-error-on-exchange-2007

Hope it helps. If there are any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

• Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:27 PM

All replies

• There should be a Duplicate Object that might be existent. Make sure to check if duplicate object exists as denoted on the error.

Also run Test-MRSHealth on Exchange 2010 Servers and have a close watch on the error.

Running EXBPA would also benefits sometimes in case if any of the exchange server installations are partial.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

• Edited by PK M Monday, August 26, 2013 5:04 PM TYPO
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:51 PM
  • If you move the mailbox again does it work?

It isn't clear what you're doing though. Is this just a mailbox move from 2007 to 2010 in the same Exchange organization, or is it a move between two different Exchange organization? I see that you mention migrating the AD and that implies you have two different Exchange organizations.

Are the "test" users named identically? If so, the "test" mailbox on the 2010 server was still in the database (in a disconnected state). If it was a disconnected mailbox then when the first move failed the mailbox was removed from the database. A subsequent move should work.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi Irak,

When mailboxes are moved from an Exchange 2010 SP1 database to any other database, Exchange doesn't fully delete the mailbox from the source database immediately upon completion of the move. Instead, the mailbox in the source mailbox database is switched to a soft-deleted state.

The soft-deleted mailboxes are retained in the source database until either the deleted mailbox retention period expires or you use the Remove-StoreMailbox cmdlet to purge the mailbox.

So I recommend you to run the remove-storemailbox cmdlet to check the result.

Here is a similar case thread for your reference.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/16f7382c-b609-4399-8741-98a728fab9ae/move-mailbox-error-on-exchange-2007

Hope it helps. If there are any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

• Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:49 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:27 PM
  •  When I move the mailbox again back to 2010 it's fails...

it's a simple maibox move from 2007 to 2010. On the 2nd server(the one with exchange 2010) I configured an AD inheriting from the domain controller installed on the first server(the one running 2007). Both servers have the same domain controller.

When I finished installing exchange 2010, I can see the users accounts in the Exchange management console but their mailbox is still on exchange 2007 as I can't access them from the new URL....I don't jnow if it's clear now...

Thnx

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:25 PM
  • When I move the mailbox again back to 2010 it's fails...

it's a simple maibox move from 2007 to 2010. On the 2nd server(the one with exchange 2010) I configured an AD inheriting from the domain controller installed on the first server(the one running 2007). Both servers have the same domain controller.

When I finished installing exchange 2010, I can see the users accounts in the Exchange management console but their mailbox is still on exchange 2007 as I can't access them from the new URL....I don't jnow if it's clear now...

Thnx

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:33 PM
  • To see what mailboxes are in that "soft deleted" state, run this in the 2010 server:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <2010-Mailbox-Databaser> | where {$_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted"} | select displayname, mailboxguid

Do you see the mailbox there?

If you do, note the display name and use it in this:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <2010-Mailbox-Database> | where {$_.DisconnectReason -eq "SoftDeleted" - and $_.displayname -eq '<user-displayname>'} | Remove-StoreMailbox -Database $_.database $_.mailboxguid -MailboxState SoftDeleted

You should be able to move the mailbox to the 2010 server after that.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:08 AM