none
Can't delete FOLDERS of Favorites from IE 11 - Windows 10....grrrrrrr! RRS feed

• Question

• I too am having trouble deleting some imported bookmarks from Mozilla. I have been able to delete most of the individual favorites by accessing them in my user profile on C:\ as mentioned earlier.  However, I have great difficulty removing some of the Folders whether or not they have favorites inside.  I am down to last several empty Favorites FOLDERS and they are refusing to be deleted!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:38 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Were there any errors when you are trying to delete these folders? they are opened in another program? or have no permission to delete them?
    If you are facing an issue that these folders are opened in another program, Process Explorer could be useful to troubleshoot it. Please check the following link for detailed information.
    How To Delete, Move, or Rename Locked Files in Windows
    https://www.howtogeek.com/128680/how-to-delete-move-or-rename-locked-files-in-windows/
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

If you do not have right permission to delete them, try to take ownership of the folder, then grant administrators full access to the folder. After that test again.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by oldguardvet Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:12 AM

All replies

• It might be that the favorites are currently being synchronized... and so they are locked?

So, I'd just try again periodically...

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:31 PM
  • Hi ,

Were there any errors when you are trying to delete these folders? they are opened in another program? or have no permission to delete them?
    If you are facing an issue that these folders are opened in another program, Process Explorer could be useful to troubleshoot it. Please check the following link for detailed information.
    How To Delete, Move, or Rename Locked Files in Windows
    https://www.howtogeek.com/128680/how-to-delete-move-or-rename-locked-files-in-windows/
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

If you do not have right permission to delete them, try to take ownership of the folder, then grant administrators full access to the folder. After that test again.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by oldguardvet Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

They are not synchronized, but when I try to delete the folders or uncheck their "read only" status I get an error message stating, “Item not found” Could not find this item.  This is no longer in C:\Users\old dude\favorites\......(path) etc. Verify the item’s location and try again." 

Where have these folders gone to?  I can see them clearly in various file trees......this sucks.......

Makes me wish for Win XP for ever! :-))

Thanks!

Scott

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:26 PM
  • when I try to delete the folders or uncheck their "read only" status I get an error message stating, “Item not found” Could not find this item.

Sounds like a bogus message for a permissions problem.  Get into an elevated cmd window at that directory level and then you will be able to use its commands to deal with any symptoms you find that way.  For example, you will be able to list your directories then using  dir/ad  and fix permissions problems (if any--much less likely when you are doing this as an Administrator) using icacls.  Note that you can capture the path from your File Explorer window by using right-click, Copy Address (or by pressing Alt-d, Ctrl-c) and then just Paste that into a CD command in your cmd prompt command line.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Importing Favorites Update.... I was able to delete the folders but using the 3rd party software ie "Unlocker."  (I have used this app. before with success)

This initial issue was all started when I tried to import Moz bookmarks from a file on my desk top. IE 11 would only import a few headers and a few BM and NOT the hundreds of that were in the BM file. IE then they wouldn't delete or it would some times show empty folders. I finally got everything out of IE favorites folder except a header file with no files in it.  I have gone into my user account twice now to clean things up. With the favorites folder now empty again, I need another method to import these bookmarks to become favorites beside the import/export tool. Any suggestions anyone? 

Many thanks!

• Edited by oldguardvet Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:19 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:18 PM