Huge compability probs with the extended Win 10 beta RRS feed

• Question

• I´ve been on this beta for more than a year now and the official summer release was quite useful for my editing, I had actually been using the earlier number versions of Win 10 for my edits without any problems.  Continuing with the extended beta has however broke most things here so I´m back on Win 8,1 now .

Changes in how the GPU is handled , affecting Red Giant Looks, as well as broken folder links to Boris filters is the main problems.

Problems that affects both Adobe and Avid as well as my titlers.

Almost like a new OS , is it Win 11 we are testing , updates shouldn´t affect these things , maybe the OS was forced out to a release as you had a date and you are doing it better and different now afterwards with no timestamp.  

Tomas

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which build of Windows 10 did you mean Windows 10 beta version?

What's your exact GPU model?

Based on the information from Red Giant, it was ready for Windows 10.

We’re Ready for Windows 10

https://www.redgiant.com/blog/2015/07/28/were-ready-for-windows-10/

https://www.redgiant.com/universe/compatibility/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

And then, the latest version of Adobe product is working fine on Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:16 AM
  • Hi Karen, this all began with the first beta of Win 10 after the official release if I recall correct.

What I first noticed was reports of broken folder links to the Boris plugins when opening up Avid and also when using a Swedish OS so I decided to test only on English OS ( with a Swedish keyboard ) 

Using English OS only had also helped somewhat during the early beta of Win 10 , I´ve been editing on Avid and Adobe since november 2014 or something ..

Things did however not work with an English OS either, with this last build , 10565 , I´m getting reports of uncorrect folder links to Boris , Boris Compendium Complete 9 , whatever application I use and I´m discussing this with the beta group of Boris currently , please PM me and you´ll get a mail adress as they see the same thing.

Regarding RedGiant I was on that beta too and reported these same problems that got fixed with the latest update from Red Giant but again broken of you with the continued update of Win 10 so you must have changed something GPU related as I now get the same error as I got before RG fixed this to work with the official release.

GPU is fully Avid certified , a 4000K , but I get the same errors with RG 3.1.1 also outside of Avid so this is clearly and only GPU related and came back with the continued updates of Win 10 beta .

Steps for you to reproduce:

With Boris , install the latest version of BCC9 and open up Adobe After Effects 2015, add a clip and a BCC effect, the error message I get is

" Error: could not load library: ( followed by link to the BCC directory that is correct and not changed )  

With Looks and in that same AE project try to add the Looks effect , you will get another error message telling you that Looks didn´t initialize successfully.

With Avid Media Composer 8,42 open it up, add some media to the timeline and add the Looks effect, you will get a message about unsupported GPU hardware .

All this worked with the official release of Win 10 , happy to assist you with more details if needed but this should be enough for reproduction, I also have a lot of mail links to the beta teams if you need them. 

mjolnarn

• Edited by mjolnarn Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Posting a mail adress to one of the Boris techs here in case you need it, he ( Jason ) gave me permissions

jclement  at   borisfx   dot     com

mjolnarn

• Edited by mjolnarn Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:02 AM
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:01 AM
  • Updated to build 10576 today and see the same errors , regarding the troubleshooting workflow it might be worth mentioning that also Boris Compendium 10 , released today , shows the same folder link errors both in Avid and Adobe, it worked well with the official release of Win 10 although it still was under beta when Win 10 was officially released.

mjolnarn

Friday, October 30, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Ok, also the official release is broke regarding this but a solution has been figured out now.

It seems like your update system somehow trashes the win32 open cl dll .

Reinstalling the Nvidia drivers fixes this , might be worth looking at.

mjolnarn

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:50 PM