Timesheet in PWA/Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have recently implemented project server 2010 and timesheets. The timesheets are not connected to project plans, so instead resources insert an administrative task which is the project's name and capture time against the inserted administrative time. In other words, all task lines in the MS Project schedules are not published to the timesheets. Some of the timesheet users' timesheets were submitted, but have not appeared in the approval centre of the timesheet approver. The line manager of each department approves his resources' timesheets, so no project managers approve timesheets or any status updates. The Project Manager's timesheets are to go to the PMO Manager for approval, but she only recieved some timesheets.

The timesheets users' who's timesheets the PMO Manager did NOT recieve are in the following groups:

Project Managers, Team Lead, Team Members and a custom group called Timesheet View and Adjust with the following categories:

• My Organization  - Assign Resource, View Enterprise Resource Data, View Resource Assignments in Assignment Views
    • My Tasks - Assign Resource, View Enterprise Resource Data, View Resource Assignments in Assignment Views
    • My Projects - Assign Resource, View Enterprise Resource Data, View Resource Assignments in Assignment Views

Users whose timesheets did go through belong to the following categories:

Team Members and custom group called Timesheet View and Adjust as above.

Could anybody please shed some light on why some timesheets are not getting through to the approver even though the resource is correctly assigned to speceific groups and the correct timeheet approver is selected for that resource?

Your assistance will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Jaco

Regards, Jaco van der Riet Pioneer Foods (Pty) Ltd PMO

• Edited by JacoRiet Monday, July 16, 2012 3:52 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:50 PM

All replies

• Jaco,

First, why not simply augment the Timesheet settings to publish the Project Top Line to the timesheet? Administrative time categories were not designed to be used as you've outlined and I fear this will lead to other issues. Admin time was a way of crowdsourcing the entry of calendar exceptions for non-project time.

Likely, the admin time category was not marked for approval, in which case, it would not generate an entry to be approved.

Second, the default Team Members group should have sufficed for Time submission. The Timesheet Approver would automatically get the update, if they are set at the approver on the resource.

The default Resource Manager group has permissions to do Timesheet Approval. Therefore, I'm not certain a new security group and category are necessary here. Simplicity will likely provide less need for ongoing maintenance.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Thanks!

Treb Gatte

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:16 PM