none
What is best option?? RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I have dpm 2012 sp1. In my office are using shadow copy to backup the file server in a disk of 3TB. 

They are using only DPM for backup to tape. 

They told me that they are using like this because with shadow copy the end-user can restore his information alone. 

I can do that with DPM? What are the advantages to add the 3TB to my DPM?

thanks

Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, You can enable end user recovery (EUR)  on the DPM Server so clients get previous versions of protected files from DPM recovery points instead of from the file server that has local shadow copies enabled.  You cannot have both.  If local shadow copies are enabled on the protected file server, then clients will always get previous versions from there, if not, then the clients can will be redirected automatically and get previous versions from the DPM server when doing disk to disk backups.

So the advantage of enabling end-user-recovery on the DPM Server is two fold.

1) You can free up disk space on the local file server by disabling local shadow copies. That leaves more room for users file data.

2) Now the tape backups will be taken from the DPM replica volume instead of from the File Servers volume, so tape backups should be faster, be non-intrusive on the protected file server, and have less impact on network traffic. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:26 PM