Recovering stuff following Windows restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I recently did a full restart (i.e. scrub EVERYTHING and start again!) on my laptop.  I obviously had to reinstall all programs, etc., but it bothered me that I didn't know how to get back all my stuff, settings, etc., in MS Word.  For instance, all my Macros, I now have to manually re-add them all.  Likewise with all my Auto-Texts and Auto-Corrects - numbering close to 100!  It's annoying and I am sure there must be another way - regrettably I do not know about this, however!  Can anyone advise so I can retain my stuff for future restarts, or for when I get a new laptop or computer?!  

Thanks,

FP  

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 8:37 AM

All replies

• For the locations of Word application content you might want to back up before rebuilding a system, see: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/13675-word-2007-later-key-data-file-locations.html

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Hi Paul, 

Thanks for the super-quick reply.  As I am only specifically looking for my macros and auto-correct and auto-texts I have attempted to look for them in the locations you have suggested in your list.  However, they are not there.  It seems to have scrubbed everything!  

How can I avoid this happening again in future?  To confirm for avoidance of doubt, I restarted my entire laptop from scratch - factory settings restart, as if brand new!  I have no idea how to conserve all of my Word stuff (macros and autos) but would be interested to know how for future.  I would imagine there is a way?

Thanks again,

FP  

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 12:15 PM
  • As I am only specifically looking for my macros and auto-correct and auto-texts I have attempted to look for them in the locations you have suggested in your list.  However, they are not there.  It seems to have scrubbed everything! 

Naturally, they're only there before you erase the system with a system reset. If you didn't make backups beforehand, there's no way to restore them afterwards. For future reference, you could make sure the files concerned are included in your periodic backups.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:56 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Hi Paul, 

I managed to get my autocorrects!  However, none of the macros or autotext entries were there and I had to go and add all 13 pages worth of these in again yesterday (luckily I could cut and paste them!!)

I'm not aware of how to make backups of my Word stuff such as autotexts, macros, etc. - is there a way I can do this without having to then add them all back in individually?

Thanks again,

FP  

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:08 AM
  • All you need do is configure your backup software to include the relevant files/folders in your periodic backups.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, September 18, 2017 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Hi Paul, 

Had to do a PC reset again and this time nothing seems to have worked, nothing is available this time - mortifying!

Can you point me in the right direction of an idiot's guide version of how to back everything up that I need?! Basically, all I need is my: 1) autocorrect entries saved for use after I reset (should I need to again in future) or move to a new PC; 2) autotext quickparts entries (of which I have around a hundred, hence why this is important to me!!!); and 3) macros.  I would be happy with that at the very least!   I can sign into Word using my MS account. 

I am out of my depth, I'm afraid, here and so as basic and simple as possible an explanation or any pointers to a website containing full beginner's instructions would be great! 

Thanks,

FP  

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:27 AM
  • For the locations you'd need to back up, see:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/13675-word-2007-later-key-data-file-locations.html

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Hi Paul, 

Thanks - I tried following the instructions but I'm obviously doing something incorrectly and I have no idea what.  Is there an easier (idiot's!) explanation so that I can start from scratch?  I'm not sure I fully understand how it all works at the basic level - apologies for my ignorance! 

Thanks, 

FP 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:16 AM
  • You'll need to follow whatever requirements your backup software has for specifying files & folders. I can't help with that.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:39 PM