none
Custom '% Work Complete' in project center views RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My projects typically have two main summary tasks under the project summary task. When calculating the % work complete at the project level, I would like to use the % work complete of one of the summary tasks instead. Also, when I show a tracking gantt in a project center view, I would like this custom % work complete value to be the progress fill in the tracking gantt bar. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:29 PM

Answers

• As for the formula...

I set FINISH10 to be  ProjDateAdd([Start],[Duration]*([Number1]/100)) 

and then change the bar styles, specifically the progress lines from Complete Through to Finish10.  There are 3 places where this change should be made, per gantt chart, in Project 2013 (summary, manual and normal).

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by Steve.Pierce Friday, April 10, 2015 7:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve.Pierce,

You can achieve the 1st part simply enough by using a custom field.  The image below should give you enough info assuming you can find your way around MS Project.

For the 2nd part, you'd need to work out a formula that calculates the customised % work complete and puts a end date into a free Finish field (1-10), and then change the progress lines from Actual Start to Finish (1-10).  This would assume the work is flat line prorated across the duration.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:15 PM
  • As for the formula...

I set FINISH10 to be  ProjDateAdd([Start],[Duration]*([Number1]/100)) 

and then change the bar styles, specifically the progress lines from Complete Through to Finish10.  There are 3 places where this change should be made, per gantt chart, in Project 2013 (summary, manual and normal).

• Marked as answer by Steve.Pierce Friday, April 10, 2015 7:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Ben,

Great information; thanks. I will give it a try. Do you know if the bar styles configuration is the same for project center bar styles in Project Server?

Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Hi Steve,

they are modifiable, but off the top of my head I can't remember the options.  From memory you can do something with Local Custom Fields (I did this in the 2007 timeframe, but it wasn't intuitive).

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Ben,

The fields worked exactly as you specified. I put them in a project template, so all new projects will have the fields.

In PWA, I went into Gantt Chart Formats, then edited "Tracking (Project Center)". I removed the Summary Progress, and added Custom Duration 10, which uses the Finish 10 field. The resulting tracking Gantt is exactly what I was hoping to produce.

Thanks for your help!

Friday, April 10, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Glad to see it all worked.

Friday, April 10, 2015 8:20 PM
  • Follow-up question:

Can I use a macro or other formula to populate a number field at the summary task level with the % work complete from a sub-task? 

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Hi Steve,

So you can use the use the radio button to use the formula at summary rows (see the arrow below).  An alternative is to use the formula which starts iif([summary],truepart,falsepart).  You would need to identify somehow which task to roll up to the summary field.  You could do similar with VBA...

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:14 PM