High CPU + shell freezes with Storage Spaces + ReFS on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations RRS feed

• General discussion

• If I create a new pool and space using ReFS, and start copying a large file to it, and then try and open the Storage Spaces control panel, the control panel does not open until I pause/stop the file copy. When it finally does open, it is extremely slow, and Windows Explorer gets slow and flaky, to the point where the system will eventually kill and restart it.

Looking at task manager, System continually eats up most of one core, and won't stop until I either restart the system or delete the space.

This only happens with ReFS in conjunction with Storage Spaces - a plain ReFS formatted volume is fine, as is an NTFS space (I've been using an NTFS space successfully for about a year before wanting to try out ReFS).

It happens regardless of whether I select simple or two-way mirroring for resiliency, and have tried it on 2 different disks with the same results.

There is nothing in the event log to indicate any hardware problems with any disks or controllers, and all disks involved have just had multiple read+write surface scans run to check their integrity.

Memory usage seems OK - the system has 4GB and task manager doesn't seem to indicate that this is being stressed.

Anyone else seen this or have any idea what to do about it?

Sunday, December 31, 2017 11:52 AM