none
How many users can login on an SharePoint 365 concurrently using the same username and password?

Question

• I have a question regarding the number of users using a generic login to sign in at the same time across different machines.

Is there a maximum number ?

Thanks

Charles

Charles

Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:13 PM

All replies

• User logins for Office 365 are per user, you're breaching the licensing terms if you're deliberately sharing them with multiple people. I suspect that you need to re-consider your licensing model and double check that you're within the rules.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:50 PM
  • Thank you for your response Alex.

I asked that question because anonymous access possibility has been removed and I don't want to oblige my external users to create a MS account.

But you are right, because of legal consideration, I have to re-consider my model, perhaps by choosing SharePoint Foundation on premise which allows anonymous access.

Rgds

Charles

Charles

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:54 PM
  • SharePoint online allows anonymous access.
    Friday, March 18, 2016 6:52 PM
  • Unfortunately not anymore: Microsoft communicated that anonymous access will not be possible in 2016...

Charles

Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Interesting, news to me, do you have a link or source?
    Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:16 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3027254

That's why I wondered to use one single generic login for all my external users who should access without any login...

Charles

• Edited by charlesdg Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:27 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:27 PM
  • I thought it might be that. That's for the old 'public' website, which was awful and wasn't retired as much as finally put out of its misery.

You will still be able to share items using anonymous access but you're right, you won't have the same ability to let users get full read only access to a site collection without logins.

If you need to build a fully interactive extranet then SharePoint Online isn't the right tool at the moment. Foundation is worth a look, as would using a non-SharePoint based web platform if that's suitable.

Monday, March 21, 2016 9:07 AM