Items under Removable Storage section are missing RRS feed

• Question

• I got the error "There is no unused media available with the selected type." in Windows Server 2003 and I thought the RSM database was corrupt, so I try to rebuild the RSM database by stopping the RSM Windows Service, delete all files under %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData and then restart the RSM Windows Service, an empty RSM database were created under %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData, now when I open Computer Management and navigate to "Storage -> Removable Storage" section, I found ALL items are missing, how do I rebuild them ?

Besides, when I start NT Backup now, it will show the dialog box "Looking for backup devices..." and hang.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I notice you mentioned "an empty RSM database were created under %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData".

What the exact file/files are now under the folder?

On my test there are 5 files named NTMSDATA/NTMSDATA.BAK/NTMSIDX/NTMSJRNL/NTMSREG.

If there is any missing file, you can try to copy the files from another Windows 2003 computer to the same location as a test.

If issue still exists, you can try a "sfc /scannow"

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Wyatt,

"all items are missing" means there is no items such as Media\Media Pools\Libraries etc, or there is nothing listed under these items?

Here is an article provided steps to restore data in Removable Storage, check if it is useful:

Restoring the Remote Storage and Removable Storage Databases

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940367.aspx

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:39 AM
  • I have read this article and it doesn't apply to my case. First I have no other items UNDER "Removable Storage" so I cannot even seen the item "Media" and I am using Windows Server 2003 and I can only found the Removable Storage service but no such services as
    • Remote Storage Engine

• Remote Storage File

• Remote Storage Media

• Remote Storage Notification

And I do NOT have the %SystemRoot%\System32\RemoteStorage\Engdb folder in my Windows 2003.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

I notice you mentioned "an empty RSM database were created under %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData".

What the exact file/files are now under the folder?

On my test there are 5 files named NTMSDATA/NTMSDATA.BAK/NTMSIDX/NTMSJRNL/NTMSREG.

If there is any missing file, you can try to copy the files from another Windows 2003 computer to the same location as a test.

If issue still exists, you can try a "sfc /scannow"

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:32 AM