Mail Merge using addresses with multiple names and c/o in the address block RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I am using MS Word 2007 & Excel 2007. I am trying to create letters and envelopes for clients. Most of them are reachable only thru other people - anotherwords, I have to send the letter to a different person and address using c/o:

John Client
    c/o Joe Smith
    123 Main St
    Anytown, MA 01555

I cannot figure out how to make it appear like that on the print out.

My excell spread sheet has clients name under column First Name and Last Name and the other person (c/o) is under First Name1 and Last Name1.

This may be simple, but I have been trying and cannot figure it out.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Russ

Sunday, March 4, 2012 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Russ,

You're better off not trying to use the address block for this. Rather, construct your own layout using the various data fields. For example:

{MERGEFIELD First_Name} {MERGEFIELD Last_Name}{MERGEFIELD First_Name1 \b "¶
    c/o " }{MERGEFIELD Last_Name1 \b " "}¶
    {MERGEFIELD Address}¶
    {MERGEFIELD City} {MERGEFIELD State} {MERGEFIELD ZipCode}

In the above construction, the expression following the \b switch in the 'Agent' mergefield tells Word that, if the First_Name1 field is not empty, insert it on a new line prefixed by 'c/o'. Similalry, if the Last_Name1 field is not empty, its output gets prefixed by a space. Thus, the output will have three lines if there's no c/o recipient, four lines if there is one. If you need to ensure the vertical space occupied by these mergefields remains constant, put them in a single-cell borderless table with a fixed row height.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Monday, March 5, 2012 3:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by lifeonaire Monday, March 5, 2012 5:16 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 3:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Russ,

You're better off not trying to use the address block for this. Rather, construct your own layout using the various data fields. For example:

{MERGEFIELD First_Name} {MERGEFIELD Last_Name}{MERGEFIELD First_Name1 \b "¶
    c/o " }{MERGEFIELD Last_Name1 \b " "}¶
    {MERGEFIELD Address}¶
    {MERGEFIELD City} {MERGEFIELD State} {MERGEFIELD ZipCode}

In the above construction, the expression following the \b switch in the 'Agent' mergefield tells Word that, if the First_Name1 field is not empty, insert it on a new line prefixed by 'c/o'. Similalry, if the Last_Name1 field is not empty, its output gets prefixed by a space. Thus, the output will have three lines if there's no c/o recipient, four lines if there is one. If you need to ensure the vertical space occupied by these mergefields remains constant, put them in a single-cell borderless table with a fixed row height.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Monday, March 5, 2012 3:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by lifeonaire Monday, March 5, 2012 5:16 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Thank you Paul. It worked! I appreciate your help!
    Monday, March 5, 2012 5:16 PM