none
Resources problem with MS Project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Using MS project 2007 Standard.

We are getting some errors with Users whereby resources allocated are not viewable on their screens when they open the schedule. When other users view the same schedule the resources are viewable. Resource work shows ok - but not resource names. In some instances this was happening when Windows 7 was installed. It has been fixed in some instances by re-installing MS project 2007 without SP3. In addition we have a number of macros we use for desktop set-up. I have uninstalled the macros from the schedules - leaving them in Global. Is there any known problems with SP3 and enabling macros?

Are there any tricks in completely uninstalling MS Project 2010 or 2007 so SP3 is completely uninstalled?

The only way we have been able to address this problem is to completely rebuild the laptops - with instructions to the techs to not install SP3.

However - when this has been done SP3 still appears. So far there has been no recurrence of the problem when this extreme approach was done.

Any help appreciated.

Pratta

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Rod - thanks for that.

We have had the problem with about 10 users; of about 400 - prior to this it appeared when MSP2010 was installed and then uninstalled with Windows 7 - on the MSP 2007 re-install it appeared that the uninstall was not complete. So we did a manual uninstall and the user was technically savvy and updated the registry himself. He informed me that it appears SP3 was the culprit. Since the reinstall without SP3 he has had no problems.

However the latest incidence of the problem involves a XP and MSP 2007 setup.???

Note: we use master files extensively, but no resource pools, nor linked schedules.

The files don't appear to be corrupted as they look work fine on other desktops. Its just that the resources aren't viewable.

We have been operating with a set-up macro loaded from a template - which has been working fine. I suspect the macro enabling is causing the problem and we now store the macro now only on the Global, not the schedule - but the problem keeps reccurring.

I will try the xml export.

BTW - what are the benefits/features of SP3?

Pratta

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi Northshore_Pirate,

I'm going to ask the obvious questions -- did you instaall SP-3 to Project 2007?  If the users switch to another view (Tracking Gantt) does the Resource Names field appear?  If you create a new task table and add the Resource Names field, does it appear correctly?

Is your entry table customized?  it could be as simple as a corrupt table and view.  Try apply other views and swapping tables and see if that helps.

Julie

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies

• Haven't seen this before. Normally 2007 has way more problems when SP3 is NOT installed! Is this just on one or two files or all files? If just one or two, file corruption has to be suspected. If you use linked files, resource pools or use linked consolidations then corruption is very likely the problem, especially if your network is less than 99.999% reliable.

Try saving the files to xml, then re-opening and creating a new file with the xml file (option on File open wizard).

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi Pratta,

A SP can be removed using Command Line or the Uninstall Tool of MicroSoft, which appear as a seperate download at MS site. Refer to these links for removing SP3 of MS project 2007 :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526091

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954914

Sapna S

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Hi Rod - thanks for that.

We have had the problem with about 10 users; of about 400 - prior to this it appeared when MSP2010 was installed and then uninstalled with Windows 7 - on the MSP 2007 re-install it appeared that the uninstall was not complete. So we did a manual uninstall and the user was technically savvy and updated the registry himself. He informed me that it appears SP3 was the culprit. Since the reinstall without SP3 he has had no problems.

However the latest incidence of the problem involves a XP and MSP 2007 setup.???

Note: we use master files extensively, but no resource pools, nor linked schedules.

The files don't appear to be corrupted as they look work fine on other desktops. Its just that the resources aren't viewable.

We have been operating with a set-up macro loaded from a template - which has been working fine. I suspect the macro enabling is causing the problem and we now store the macro now only on the Global, not the schedule - but the problem keeps reccurring.

I will try the xml export.

BTW - what are the benefits/features of SP3?

Pratta

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi Sapna

Many thanks for that info. I will try.

Pratta

Pratta

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:50 AM
  • We are having a similar or the same problem which started last week. We use both 03 & 07 as stand alones. Because of our financial system we need the capability to generate a time phased .mpd file. Last week the 07 users started to see the Resource Names disappear when in a Gantt view with a column showing Resource Names viewable. The total Work was correct. In split view showing Resource Work in the bottom pane there were no Resource Names. In the Resource View resources were not assigned to any task and all appeared under 'Unassigned' This occures in all files included but not limited to ones created months ago. I would say that this problem should be described as 'all resource assignments are lost'

It appears that this issue applies to files created in 07 and saved in 07. We have found that if a file is saved in 07 as a 03 file then opened in 03 followed by saving it in 03 then opened in 07 sometimes the Resource Assignments are back. We will do more investigating to verify this.

We do have a professional IT department that is looking into this problem. I will keep you updated.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hi Northshore_Pirate,

I'm going to ask the obvious questions -- did you instaall SP-3 to Project 2007?  If the users switch to another view (Tracking Gantt) does the Resource Names field appear?  If you create a new task table and add the Resource Names field, does it appear correctly?

Is your entry table customized?  it could be as simple as a corrupt table and view.  Try apply other views and swapping tables and see if that helps.

Julie

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:42 PM
  • I am having the same problems in 2007 with SP3. The resource names in Gantt disappear after closing and then reopenning the file. The resources are still available. Because, like a magic show, if I close then reopen, they might (might) reappear. It's identical to the Northshore_Pirate description.

Is anyone working on a fix for this besides removing SP3?

Thanks, Bruce

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:52 PM