Adding App-V 4.6 redundancy to live system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've inherited a problem whereby I need to build redundancy into an existing App-V 4.6 SP1 infrastructure. The person who put this in place (who's now left the company) setup a single 2k8 R2 server hosting both the App-V Management Console and the App-V Streaming Server with a remote SQL database. It seems this was initially put in for testing purposes but a small number of applications have ended up being deployed to live end-users (great). 

The database is backed up but at present there is zero redundancy for the Management Server and Streaming Server. Packages are being streamed via RTSP and all packages have the hostname of the existing App-V server hard-coded in the OSDs. The App-V clients are configured via the ADM template to point to the existing App-V server.

The (rough) plan is to build a second 2k8 R2 server, replicate the content store via DFS, then install the Management Server and Streaming Server (pointing at the existing database) on the second box. Windows NLB will then be used to provide redundancy.

The challenge is that I need to implement this with minimal disruption to the existing users. In order to use NLB I'm thinking I'm going to have to write a script to find the entries for the existing App-V server in all the OSD files and replace with the hostname for the new NLB host (on a copy of the content share). The AppV client group policy object will then need to be re-configured to point to the NLB host.

I'm just trying to get straight in my head the best order of doing things with minimal impact, or is there a better way of approaching it entirely?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks  

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

You can set the client to override the content of the OSD that defines the streaming protocol;

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment/app-v-faq-21-does-the-delivery-method-change-how-applications-are-sequenced/

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Stewmang Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:06 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Hi znack

That's extremely useful, I wasn't aware of the ApplicationSourceRoot registry key. Presumably I can then get everything setup on the new server including the NLB with the clients still happily streaming directly from the existing server, then I can switch them over to the NLB host using the reg key.

Thank you very much

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:05 PM
  • I went ahead and tried to install the App-V Management Server on the second server and made sure to select the option to 'use an existing database' selecting the existing App-V database. After I get past the point where I specify the content share (I'm just specifying a blank content share at present, I havent copied the content data from the existing server and setup DFS) the installation fails with an error "Error 25109. The installation program could not create the configuration data store. Please see the installation log file for more information"

I can see some posts relating to this error message including this technet  blog article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2008/10/23/error-25109-the-installation-program-could-not-create-the-configuration-data-store.aspx It seems to relate to either running the installer with local admin rights or specifying an existing blank database.

I'm running the installer with a domain admin account and whilst there is an existing database, it's not empty as I'm simply trying to connect another management server to the existing database. When I ran the installer I selected to install all the components (App Virt Management Server, App Virt Server VSS Writer, App Virt Management Console and App Virt Management Service). I've tried searching for the installation log file sft-server but it doesn't seem to exist.

Any ideas why I might be getting this error?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:16 PM