none
SC DPM protected computer with same netbios name in different domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, as far as I know, the SC DPM is not supporting same netbios names in case of protected computers.

In my case, I have two computers to protect: mail.domainone.local and mail.domaintwo.local. The DPM server is dpmserver.domainthree.local, so the protection type is untrusted.

We tried the following trick to use multiple netbios names, without success.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/61ee954c-088f-4a24-aa55-b6ee865a5996/alternative-netbios-name-in-server-2008?forum=winservergen

After this solution we tried to register the protected machines in the hosts file of the DPM server. The ping and the sc query are working properly, but the DPM Agent installation throws the following error:

Error 32684: Unable to contact the protection agent on server

May I ask for your help?

Thanks and regards!

• Edited by garbaroyal Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:43 PM

All replies

• Have you setup a conditional forwarder in DNS for the other domain ? as if your trying to resolve a reference in another domain you will need to make sure you have setup a conditional forwarder in DNS. This could be the reason why the agent install is failing, as the DPM server may be trying to resolve the name of the client via DNS

You can also try manually installing the agent on the clients -

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh758186.aspx#BKMK_Manual

Cheers,

Andrew

MCSE, MCSA, VCP, CCNA, SNIA

Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant

Blog: Network Angel LinkedIn:

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by CloudAngel Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:40 AM
    • Proposed as answer by CloudAngel Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CloudAngel Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:31 AM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately i wrote wrong action.

Currently we could install DPM angen on unprotected server with the "DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe" file (the DPMAgnetInstaller_x64.exe <DPMServer name> command does not working on untrusted server), and after that set up the agent with the SetDpmServer.exe command. Now we stucked at the last step: we get 32684 error message when we try to attach the unprotected agent.

Duouble checked if the protected computer is available on the network and the dns name resolution is working perfectly.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:20 AM