none
Migrating roaming user profile to UPD RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys

Is here any how to- s or tutorials migrating User settings from Profile Path to UPD. Currently all our users using Profile Path (Roaming Profile).Now we migrated to Windows Server 2012 R2. Want to enable User Profile Disk option...

Vusal M. Dadashzadeh

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the problem is that most users has individual settings in its Roaming User Profiles: printers, mapped network locations and shortcuts.

Regarding this, I suggest you configure printers, mapped drives and other user-specific settings via Group Policy, in that case, these settings would be loaded by group policy components no matter which type of user profile is configured.

Another difficulty I faced is that, when I deployed UPD over Roaming Profiles, users (dont know why) logged in as temporary profile....

Please ensure that profile owner and System has Full Control on the user profile disk.

You may also delete the problematic user profile under both the UPD share and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, then re-create it.

Here is a related thread below for you:

RDS user profile disks - getting error temporary profile are being used as UPD are not accesible

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d4b66fc-b53f-435e-b036-142b6ed15d0b/rds-user-profile-disks-getting-error-temporary-profile-are-being-used-as-upd-are-not-accesible?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Vusal,

basically you would need to copy over the roaming profile per user into the VHDX of the corresponding user. If it's a large number of user, I recommend to script copying the data per user.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:53 AM
  • can u provide more details please..

Vusal M. Dadashzadeh

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:02 AM
  • The User Profile Disk is just a mounted VHDX file which contains the user's profile in the same way as a local or roaming profile is stored (only difference is the mounted VHDX file). When you configure UPD, a VHDX file is created in the configured location for each user (using the User SID as name for uniqueness). if you copy over the roaming profile files and folders to the VHDX file (before the user logs on), the settings from the UPD are applied which are the same as the roaming profile.

Best is to analyze the contents of the UPD once you create it and compare it to the roaming profile data. By comparing you'll be able to see how the UPD is built up.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:33 AM
  • if you copy over the roaming profile files and folders to the VHDX file (before the user logs on), - the problrm is that most users has individual settings in its Roaming User Profiles: printers, mapped network locations and shortcuts. I thought I'd deploy UPD over Roaming User profile then I'd delete profile path from every User Account.... 

Another difficulty I faced is that, when I deployed UPD over Roaming Profiles, users (dont know why) logged in as temporary profile....

Vusal M. Dadashzadeh

Monday, April 25, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

the problem is that most users has individual settings in its Roaming User Profiles: printers, mapped network locations and shortcuts.

Regarding this, I suggest you configure printers, mapped drives and other user-specific settings via Group Policy, in that case, these settings would be loaded by group policy components no matter which type of user profile is configured.

Please ensure that profile owner and System has Full Control on the user profile disk.

You may also delete the problematic user profile under both the UPD share and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, then re-create it.

Here is a related thread below for you:

RDS user profile disks - getting error temporary profile are being used as UPD are not accesible

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d4b66fc-b53f-435e-b036-142b6ed15d0b/rds-user-profile-disks-getting-error-temporary-profile-are-being-used-as-upd-are-not-accesible?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:17 AM