none
Recent Update to Windows will not allow me to drag and drop from FileZilla into a folder

Question

• Recent Update to Windows will not allow me to drag and drop from FileZilla into a folder on my computer. Error message reads "Could not determine the target of the Drag&Drop operation. Either he shell extension is not installed properly or you didn't drop the files into an Explorer window". Prior to the update, I have never received this error message. Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:49 PM

All replies

• I'm getting the exact same thing. I've tried to re-register the shell extension but no luck.

A client I visited today was also no longer able to use a lot of features of MYOB and a few other accounting programs they use. Spent half of today rolling all of their computers back so they could continue to work (accounting firm, business was completely halted because of the update!).

I believe Microsoft may have disabled a certain SMB version or made some kind of security changes in the last update. I'm yet to determine what though. It's really frustrating as I'm starting a major web development project toady, and I can't use one of the most convenient features of FileZilla. Haven't installed any other FTP clients to test yet, but I have well over 100 saved connections in FileZilla and would prefer to continue using it!

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:24 AM
  • Actually, I just found the following regarding the issue:

(2018-05-07) Microsoft broke the ICopyHook interface in Windows 1803. Until Microsoft fixes the bug in Windows, drag & drop from FileZilla into Explorer will not work on Windows 1803.

Looks like the only option is to roll back the update for now!

Source: https://fossies.org/linux/FileZilla/NEWS 

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:26 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Sunday, May 27, 2018 11:52 PM
  • Can you tell me how do I roll back the update?  I'm having the same problem.  Thanks
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 11:53 PM
  • I downloaded WinSCP and easily accessed my files. Thanks
    Monday, May 28, 2018 12:48 AM
  • I saw this at other site, hope works (https://superuser.com/questions/1241866/how-can-i-install-filezillas-shell-extension)

Especially on Vista or Windows 7 it can happen that Drag&Drop fails and you get an error message stating the shell extension doesn't work. In this case you may need to re-register it. Here's how:

1. Open a command prompt as administrator. This is important!

Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories: Right Click 'Command Prompt', select 'Run as administrator'

2. Navigate to the Filezilla program directory.

• Example (32bit): cd "\Program Files\Filezilla FTP Client"
      • Example (64bit): cd "\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client"
    3. Re-register the shell extension.

Type this command: regsvr32 fzshellext.dll

4. If you have 64bit OS, you need to perform an additional step.

Type this command: regsvr32 fzshellext_64.dll

If you get the reply 'DllRegisterServer in ... succeeded.', you've done it (though you probably still need to reboot your computer).

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:32 PM
  • The same happens to me. I tried to uninstall the april update but the problem persists...
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:30 PM
  • I tried this one but it doesn't work...
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:35 PM
  • I saw this at other site, hope works (https://superuser.com/questions/1241866/how-can-i-install-filezillas-shell-extension)

Especially on Vista or Windows 7 it can happen that Drag&Drop fails and you get an error message stating the shell extension doesn't work. In this case you may need to re-register it. Here's how:

1. Open a command prompt as administrator. This is important!

Start Menu - All Programs - Accessories: Right Click 'Command Prompt', select 'Run as administrator'

2. Navigate to the Filezilla program directory.

• Example (32bit): cd "\Program Files\Filezilla FTP Client"
      • Example (64bit): cd "\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client"
    3. Re-register the shell extension.

Type this command: regsvr32 fzshellext.dll

4. If you have 64bit OS, you need to perform an additional step.

Type this command: regsvr32 fzshellext_64.dll

If you get the reply 'DllRegisterServer in ... succeeded.', you've done it (though you probably still need to reboot your computer).

this simply does not work on Windows 10
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:23 PM
  • I agree, I tried this and still no good. Microsoft, please fix this bug, it is EXTREMELY annoying!
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:48 PM
  • I worked around this by restoring my computer to windows update 1709 and turned off windows updates. 
    Monday, July 2, 2018 7:18 PM
  • Microsoft break things and are too big to acknowledge it and fix it.

BUT while the the filezilla owner could easily fix his software he is too stubborn and ego driven to fix his code to use another method to achieve the same thing, just like CUTEFTP does.

So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:06 AM
  • It won't drag & drop to another window, but will work if you drag to a folder on your PC shown the left hand side of the FileZilla window. 
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:35 AM
  • thanks it works, it was like daaaa! moment!
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:04 AM
  • I have found that if you right click on the file that you can download it. It puts it under your C: drive but you can also choose other options. Once it is downloaded you can drag and drop file where you want.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:13 PM