none
Install of Windows 7 as fresh or upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of giving Windows 7 beta a try on my work laptop and was wondering how a upgrade would work for me rather then doing a clean install.  I hate to have to reload everything I have on my laptop.  Has MS made it so doing a actual upgrade is not so bad anymore?

Thanks
    -Scott
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:53 PM

Answers

• One should never install a beta operating system on a production computer, especially not on a "work laptop".  If you wish to install Windows 7 Beta,
    please install it on a second hard drive or available empty partition.

Please note that if your laptop computer is owned by a company or business, you can potentially jeopardize your employment status by installing software
    not approved by the company that owns the computer.
    Carey Frisch MVP
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

The upgrade has been flawless for some people, so I think it won't harm if you upgrade from your current Windows to Windows 7 and give it a try.

However a rule of thumb is to backup your current Windows before you upgrade. If you are currently using Windows Vista, you can do a Complete PC Backup.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:02 PM
    Answerer
  • One of the first rules of computing is Thou Shalt Not Run Beta Software On A Production Machine. Seriously, you should only do beta testing on a machine that you don't need and that you don't care about wiping and starting over. Additionally, I would assume that the betas will eventually time-bomb out after RTM. Mind you, I don't know that for certain but that's the way it has been in the past. Also it is normal to not be able to upgrade from a beta, RTM requiring a clean install.

If you only have the one computer and you simply can't stand not to play with Win7, purchase imaging software and an external hard drive. I recommend Acronis True Image. Image your laptop and store the image on the external hard drive. Then if the upgrade doesn't work for you (and it has worked for many and also *not* worked for many so the only way to find out in your specific case is to try it), you can quickly restore your computer to where it was by applying the image you made.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:04 PM
  • yes I know I should not run beta software in my real world environment but I know if I load it on another machine I will not use it as heavily as i would my main PC.  I am running Windows Home Server at home so i get a nice backup every night with it so I can save my latest Vista backup on it and use it when this beta is due to run out in August.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I have to put in my two cents -- I never rely on upgrades, I have had too many intermittent issues that were a nightmare to troubleshoot, so in the long run I have many times needed to wipe and reload after weeks of issues. But I have to agree with Malkeleah on the comment of using imaging software.

But if you don't want to spend any money there are free virtual tools out there like VMWare Server and MS Virtual PC or Server. Plus you will get better support if you use one of the Microsoft tools. Lot's of people are testing W7 on Virtual PC so there will be a lot of well known issues documented.  
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes i already have Windows 7 loaded in my WMworkstation, but again unless it is loaded as my main OS I just don't use it enough to know how well it runs.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:23 PM
  • One should never install a beta operating system on a production computer, especially not on a "work laptop".  If you wish to install Windows 7 Beta,
    please install it on a second hard drive or available empty partition.

Please note that if your laptop computer is owned by a company or business, you can potentially jeopardize your employment status by installing software
    not approved by the company that owns the computer.
    Carey Frisch MVP
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:58 PM
  • I run our IT department so i make all the calls here.  No risk if I am testing it to see how well it is going to run our Inventory Management software.  We need to know anyway before Windows 7 is officially released.  I understand the reprocussions and I have a good backup of my system that I can restore to if needed.

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:03 PM