none
Baselining RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a very large project. I created the initial baseline/baseline cost 1, based off of the original business case. After the planning and requirements phase, did another baseline (baseline cost 2) which is meant to be the measuring stick. 

With my project a task became no longer needed so I inactivated the task; however, when I did this it changed my original baseline (baseline cost 2) and my current baseline figures which is not what I want. Why does it change? To me, a baseline, regardless if it is baseline 2, current baseline, or 10 should never change?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:41 PM

All replies

• LC_516,

You're right in that the baseline should not change so something else must be getting "into the mix". Let's take a look at some items.

First, what version of Project are you using? Second, is it updated with the latest Cumulative Update?

Third, what else can you tell us about the task that you inactivated (e.g. auto/manual, any actuals, etc.)

Not sure if it will help but could you post a screen shot of the task in question, including its summary line, with The Cost, Baseline Cost 2, Predecessors, Work, Resource Names fields displayed.

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:26 PM screen shot
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:21 PM
  • I am using Project Professional 2013, cumulative Update 15.0.4823.1000. However, I know the issues is not due to the CU being out of date as I had several others with different versions of Project Pro test and they had the same experience. I am thinking that it has to do with the grouping view functionality. 
    • Edited by LC_516 Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Here are screenshots of what I am experiencing:

Before:

After inactivating example task "setup Sharepoint site," notice the totals change because I am using the grouping functionality (I believe)

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:50 PM
  • LC_516,

Well, that explains it. Group summary lines are not actually part of the project file, rather they are calculated based on the data in the group. So in the case of baseline data for a group summary, it is not "saved" with any baseline, it is calculated based on what is in the group.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:53 PM
  • This may seem like a stupid question, so I apologize in advance. If one needs to inactivate tasks what value, if any, is there in using a grouping view? Since the inactivated tasks do not show as such in a grouped view. The only way I can determine that task 27 was inactivated is to select a data entry view, or by selecting the view that shows inactive/active tasks? Basically you can't use a grouped view and use the inactive/activate functionality together.

Thanks again John for your guidance!

Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:38 PM
  • LC_516,

First, no questions are stupid.

I don't have Project 2013 so maybe it's a little different but I don't think so. With Project 2010 when I inactivate a task and then use grouping, the inactive task still shows as inactive (i.e. light grey font with cross-out). For my test, I created a simple file with a few tasks and resources. I grouped on the Resource Names field and then the Start field. In your example, I noticed the inactive task didn't show differently. What fields are you grouping on? Maybe there is a particular combination that makes a difference.

John

Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:05 PM