Active partion reset with no installed OS? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hey, I installed MS Vista ultimate a few months ago. Then somehow i seem to have set a drive to active. When I tried to boot it said Bootmgr is missing.

I tried a reinstall and it failed. So I formatted the entire HDD, installation still failed.

Is there anyway I can change the active drive settings back to no drive like it was before?

PS - I have no OS installed anymore.

Error Code: 0x80070001

Thanks

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First you might backup the necessary data on your current harddisk, then reformat the entire HDD and recreate the partitions. Try installing Windows Vista OS again. If the problem persists, the issue is most likely caused by the following two reasons.

1. The DVD drive might be damaged; have a test on another computer to check whether the Windows Vista Setup CD does work.

2. The disk may be defective so take it back to where you got it from and ask for a new one, also check for any marks on the disk and wipe it down with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth.

If you purchased the Windows Vista from Microsoft, you might directly contact our Microsoft Customer Service 800-590-9400/(800) 936-5700, who are experts in issues such as: replacement manuals, disks, service releases and service packs, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration. I think that they would be much more helpful.

Hope the above information helpful !

Monday, September 8, 2008 10:34 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Boot to the Windows Vista DVD, choose the repair option.

Choose the CMD prompt

run diskpart

run

select disk x ( where x is the disk that has the active partition)

then run

select partition x ( where x is the current active partition)

then run

inactive

now run

Exit

to leave diskpart

Friday, September 5, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

First you might backup the necessary data on your current harddisk, then reformat the entire HDD and recreate the partitions. Try installing Windows Vista OS again. If the problem persists, the issue is most likely caused by the following two reasons.

1. The DVD drive might be damaged; have a test on another computer to check whether the Windows Vista Setup CD does work.

2. The disk may be defective so take it back to where you got it from and ask for a new one, also check for any marks on the disk and wipe it down with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth.

If you purchased the Windows Vista from Microsoft, you might directly contact our Microsoft Customer Service 800-590-9400/(800) 936-5700, who are experts in issues such as: replacement manuals, disks, service releases and service packs, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration. I think that they would be much more helpful.

Hope the above information helpful !

Monday, September 8, 2008 10:34 AM