no change membership option on upstream server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is no option for changing computer membership on Upstream Server that is reporting to the replica server.

Why? Is there a way to enable this?

Computer on replica WSUS:

The same machine on Upstream server:

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, July 8, 2016 12:59 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi pob579,

>It is inconvenient to open 17 replica's consoles for moving new machines from Unassigned group.

It's better to assign computer into different groups from Client-side. When you use GPO to configure them as WSUS clients, you may enable policy "Enable client-side targeting"; on WSUS server, options>computers, click "Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers", and create the corresponding groups under "Computers". Then when clients apply the GPO, they will locate on the related groups automatically. It can be more convenient to manage them.

Best Regards,

Anne  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 8, 2016 5:51 AM
  • membership can't be change on upstream server for a client from replica server.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:54 PM

All replies

• membership can't be change on upstream server for a client from replica server.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:54 PM
  • by design? :)

there was another interesting thing that was answered here about Update Rollup node appearance on Replica Servers. It was easy to enable. So I still think that there could be an option of enabling MEMBERSHIP option.

It is inconvenient to open 17 replica's consoles for moving new machines from Unassigned group.

Much practical to do it on upstream.

Just would like to have another confirmation or if you have MS article about that...

then I will mark it as answer :)

Thanks Chetan.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi pob579,

>It is inconvenient to open 17 replica's consoles for moving new machines from Unassigned group.

It's better to assign computer into different groups from Client-side. When you use GPO to configure them as WSUS clients, you may enable policy "Enable client-side targeting"; on WSUS server, options>computers, click "Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers", and create the corresponding groups under "Computers". Then when clients apply the GPO, they will locate on the related groups automatically. It can be more convenient to manage them.

Best Regards,

Anne  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 8, 2016 5:51 AM
  • It's worth noting that if you enable GP based membership on the upstream server, it does not automatically apply the same option to downstream servers. Therefore, Clients reporting to the downstream server can end up in unassigned computers, and this is replicated up to the upstream server. 

This answer helped me, but only because I checked this option on my downstream servers too. 

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:00 AM