none
POSReady 2009 and SATA RAID RRS feed

• Question

• Cannot get PR9 installation to finish when doing software RAID.
    Dual HDD, RAID1 enabled in bios, Win XP install, F6 at the beginning, additional drivers from USB floppy are loaded, XP loads and configure correctly, RAID1 up and running.
    Or, using a procedure on MSFN (MSFN is not affiliated with Microsoft), make a new XP CD w/ the Intel Drivers included so F6 at install is not require.

Same machine, PR9 install, F6 at the beginning, floppy is accessed. Next in a configure window, radio button for "Additional drivers required?". If I don't check it, install won't run, No HDD found errors. If I do click it, floppy is accessed but get an error message saying correct drivers for the hardware are not found.
    Using the other procedure doesn't work, nLite won't accept the PR9 CD, says it cannot see the i386 folder.

I've check the MS Tech Net PR9 section and don't see any info regarding RAID. Is there something different between XP and PR9 RAID operation?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:41 PM

Answers

• OK guys, got it going. Created a USB install thumb drive and copied the SATA drivers to the drivers folder on the thumb drive. Started the install, F6 at the install environment and selected the ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller off the floppy. Did not select the the additional drivers radio button in the Setup operation. The installation automatically went to a command window where I typed: install.exe /devicefile:a:\satainstall.xml  where the xml file I wrote about 12/11 was located and the installation progressed and completed OK. Don't know if the needed drivers came from the thumb drive's drivers folder, or the .xml script was the solution.
    Once again, thanks for your help and comments, have a Merry Christmas.

Paul
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know you got around the problem and for bringing this to our attention.  I wish the solution was easier but I’m glad it worked for you. Also, thanks for letting us know more about the hardware.  This helps us a lot.

As a background, the InfImporter and the Add Additional Drivers page essentially do the same thing (in fact, both create the same XML content), but the Add Additional Drivers version is more optimized to copy only the files and drivers necessary for getting it to work and makes sure that the drivers match the PnP IDs in the hardware.  The InfImporter is meant for off-line use so it references every file and driver and does no matching (Setup will install the matching ones). From your results, I would suspect there's a problem somewhere here in how it is reading one of the Infs or the TxtSetup.oem.

I don’t think the thumb drive made any difference.  The advantage with using them is that it allows you to abandon the floppy drive and not have to press F6.  The Add Additional Drivers part is more critical as it loads the files from the Drivers directory, so if it’s not working, then this probably won’t help. 

Brendan

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Paul,

It doesn't sound like F6 is actually loading the appropriate driver into your WinPE session for installation.  The Setup Wizard options for "Additional Drivers Required" only copies the required drivers to the target system in order to boot the system after setup completes.  If the WinPE load of drivers was successful then you would see a HDD regardless if you supplied drivers during Setup Wizard or not.  

F6 in WinPE searches the root of the floppy disk for a file named TXTSETUP.OEM.   If there file is not found in the root it would not be able to locate the appropriate driver.  Can you supply a link to the driver disk image?

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi Paul,

It's hard to say what the problem is but let's see if we can narrow it down. 

Starting from booting from CDROM, press F6 and install the driver.  When this menu loads, does it provide you with a choice on the drivers to install or does it default to something?  On the floppy drive, is the txtsetup.oem in the root, in a sub directory, or in the root and one or more sub directories?  Alternatively, are you able to share a driver download link so we can look?

Before Setup starts, there's a message box that provides an opportunity to load a command prompt by pressing any key.  If you do that, are you able to see the drives?  Alternatively, in diskpart, can you see the drives in there?  If not, then WinPE didn't load the drivers properly. 

If the drives are found by DOS but running Setup fails to install the drivers on the Additional Drivers page, going past this screen gets a little more tricky.  To help, drivers can be installed manually through XML and bypassing this screen.  Some help on how to do this is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd458820(WinEmbedded.20).aspx.  Be sure to use the InfImporter utility since it will automate the creation of the XML.

If this doesn't work either, let us know.  We'd be happy to know more about the hardware and drivers to see where the incompatibility may be. It might be a longshot, but POSReady Setup can boot from USB thumb drives too.  This has the ability to skip WinPE's F6 phase altogether.  To do this, there's a menu option in the POSReady DVD's Autorun.  When this is complete, copy the contents of the driver floppy to a "drivers" directory on the USB thumb drive.  It may not solve anything but it's worth a try since the process is a little different.

Brendan
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Thanks for your answers gents. Created satainstall.xml additional drivers file to add intel sata raid drivers per your suggestion. Drivers are from Intel's site, f6flpy3289.zip, their 32-bit floppy utility, 7/17/2009 version 8.9.0.1023. Used WEPOS InfImporter utility to generate my satainstall.xml file. Found had to still F6 at the very beginning of PR9 install (starting installation environment). I'm using the ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller. When Setup started, got to the command prompt and typed:  setup.exe /devicefile:a:\satainstall.xml  Setup continued, entered product key, accept license, (accept no additional drivers needed), selected partition on the drive when presented, formatted drive, copied OS image, then hung in Detecting Hardware, Install drivers for plug and play device
    Error message "Setup failed to install additional Plug and Play driver files." Retry, cancel, Details buttons.
    Details: Could not find file "a:\.\iastor.inf"
    Click retry, neither DVD nor floppy drive are accessed. After 2 minutes of inactivity, Setup Error window appears w/ the message: ERROR: Cannot find additional drivers file a:\satainstall.xml.
    Setup wants the USB floppy and cannot find it. Only thing on the floppy are the files from f6flpy3289.zip which includes the TXTSETUP.OEM file and my .xml file w/ the results of the command below.
    Any ideas? Thanks,
    Paul

C:\Program Files\WEPOS\InfImporter>infimporter *.inf satainstall.xml -w
    Parsing .\iaAHCI.inf ...
    Parsing .\iaStor.inf ...

Friday, December 11, 2009 8:51 PM
  • OK guys, got it going. Created a USB install thumb drive and copied the SATA drivers to the drivers folder on the thumb drive. Started the install, F6 at the install environment and selected the ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller off the floppy. Did not select the the additional drivers radio button in the Setup operation. The installation automatically went to a command window where I typed: install.exe /devicefile:a:\satainstall.xml  where the xml file I wrote about 12/11 was located and the installation progressed and completed OK. Don't know if the needed drivers came from the thumb drive's drivers folder, or the .xml script was the solution.
    Once again, thanks for your help and comments, have a Merry Christmas.

Paul
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know you got around the problem and for bringing this to our attention.  I wish the solution was easier but I’m glad it worked for you. Also, thanks for letting us know more about the hardware.  This helps us a lot.

As a background, the InfImporter and the Add Additional Drivers page essentially do the same thing (in fact, both create the same XML content), but the Add Additional Drivers version is more optimized to copy only the files and drivers necessary for getting it to work and makes sure that the drivers match the PnP IDs in the hardware.  The InfImporter is meant for off-line use so it references every file and driver and does no matching (Setup will install the matching ones). From your results, I would suspect there's a problem somewhere here in how it is reading one of the Infs or the TxtSetup.oem.

I don’t think the thumb drive made any difference.  The advantage with using them is that it allows you to abandon the floppy drive and not have to press F6.  The Add Additional Drivers part is more critical as it loads the files from the Drivers directory, so if it’s not working, then this probably won’t help. 

Brendan

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:29 PM