Can I run a "Virtual PC 2007" Guest under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently my workstation is Win XP and the company wants me to upgrade to Win7. I am running a number of "Virtual PC 2007" Guests on my XP box. Can I use them, as is,  under Win 7, or not? (I recall that Win 7 has an "XP emulation" mode. Can I run my existing Guests there.....?)

TIA,

barkingdog

Friday, January 15, 2010 8:55 PM

Answers

• XP Mode does not go by the name Windows Virtual PC. Windows 7 Virtual PC requires hardware assisted virtualization and is based on the fully multithreaded Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP 1 virtualization engine, not the Virtual PC 2007 SP1 engine. This architectural difference makes Windows 7 Virtual PC better suited to running simultaneous virtual machines than Virtual PC 2007.

For people who have Windows 7 Virtual PC installed, XP Mode is an optional download of a preconfigured XP virtual machine. The XP Mode virtual machine is hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC. XP Mode requires Windows 7 Virtual PC. Windows 7 Virtual PC does not require XP Mode. XP Mode is not required if you want an XP virtual machine - you can create your own XP virtual machine. The extra advantage offered by XP Mode is that it includes RemoteApp, formerly called RAIL (Remote Applications Integrated Locally). RemoteApp allows applications running within a virtual machine to be published out to the Windows 7 desktop and appear to run locally within Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is available only for these versions of Windows 7:

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Windows 7 Enterprise

The reason it exists is to provide backward compatibility for applications that work in XP but not Windows 7. There's sort of an unspoken assumption that it is for people who are moving from XP directly to Windows 7.

But there are users who are upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. It is assumed that if something works on Vista, it will work on Windows 7, therefore having a Vista virtual machine isn't necessary.

However, you can create a Vista virtual machine from your own licensed Vista media. Once you've done that, if you install RemoteApp to get XP Mode type of functionality.

RemoteApp for Windows XP SP3 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=26a2de17-8355-4e8d-8f33-9211e48651fb
    RemoteApp for Vista SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E5433D88-685F-4036-B435-570FF53598CD&displaylang=en

You may run Virtual PC 2007 virtual machines under Windows 7 Virtual PC. They are compatible, do not worry.

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 18, 2010 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 22, 2010 2:00 AM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:45 AM

All replies

• Yes.  Windows 7 can run VPC2007 or the new Windows Virtual PC.  XP Mode is a preconfigured VM for running under Windows VPC.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Windows XP Mode is based on the successor of Virtual PC 2007 SP1 and goes by the name "Windows Virtual PC". As Windows Virtual PC require HW assisted virtualization this does not work on all hardware and in those cases stick with Virtual PC 2007. You can however run other virtual machines with Windows Virtual PC, even in parallell with XP Mode.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:12 PM
  • XP Mode does not go by the name Windows Virtual PC. Windows 7 Virtual PC requires hardware assisted virtualization and is based on the fully multithreaded Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP 1 virtualization engine, not the Virtual PC 2007 SP1 engine. This architectural difference makes Windows 7 Virtual PC better suited to running simultaneous virtual machines than Virtual PC 2007.

For people who have Windows 7 Virtual PC installed, XP Mode is an optional download of a preconfigured XP virtual machine. The XP Mode virtual machine is hosted by Windows 7 Virtual PC. XP Mode requires Windows 7 Virtual PC. Windows 7 Virtual PC does not require XP Mode. XP Mode is not required if you want an XP virtual machine - you can create your own XP virtual machine. The extra advantage offered by XP Mode is that it includes RemoteApp, formerly called RAIL (Remote Applications Integrated Locally). RemoteApp allows applications running within a virtual machine to be published out to the Windows 7 desktop and appear to run locally within Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode is available only for these versions of Windows 7:

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Windows 7 Enterprise

The reason it exists is to provide backward compatibility for applications that work in XP but not Windows 7. There's sort of an unspoken assumption that it is for people who are moving from XP directly to Windows 7.

But there are users who are upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. It is assumed that if something works on Vista, it will work on Windows 7, therefore having a Vista virtual machine isn't necessary.

However, you can create a Vista virtual machine from your own licensed Vista media. Once you've done that, if you install RemoteApp to get XP Mode type of functionality.

RemoteApp for Windows XP SP3 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=26a2de17-8355-4e8d-8f33-9211e48651fb
    RemoteApp for Vista SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E5433D88-685F-4036-B435-570FF53598CD&displaylang=en

You may run Virtual PC 2007 virtual machines under Windows 7 Virtual PC. They are compatible, do not worry.

• Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 18, 2010 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 22, 2010 2:00 AM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Beware, if you run your old VMs under Windows VPC it will change the VM additions and they will become incompatible with other hosts. If you want to run the same VMs on different hosts you are better abandoning VPC and installing Virtual PC 2007 SP1.

Andrew
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:49 PM